Search

Dog walker warns of ‘rotten and odious’ lump of palm oil on beach

PUBLISHED: 17:30 02 May 2018 | UPDATED: 17:46 02 May 2018

The lump of palm oil found near Southwold. Picture: Steve Walker

The lump of palm oil found near Southwold. Picture: Steve Walker

Archant

A dog walker has warned others of the dangers of palm oil after being forced to take his dog to the vet after spotting a giant lump in Southwold.

Steve Walker’s dog Chilli, a Jack Russell, was taken to the vet after Mr Walker spotted teethmarks in a giant lump of palm oil near to the south pier close to the start of the River Blyth.

Mr Walker said; “I saw a massive white lump which was stinking, It was a rotten smell, odious, but that is attractive to dogs.

“I saw there were some teethmarks in it and decided to take him to the vet just in case.”

A spokesman for Waveney District Council said: “Palm oil continues to be present along the coastline and as before, we advise dog walkers to be aware when walking on the beach.

Although palm oil is not toxic, it can cause illness in animals if ingested in quantity.

“Dog walkers are advised to take precautions to prevent their pets from eating anything found on the beach. This may include keeping dogs under close control, on leads or muzzled if considered appropriate.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Lowestoft Journal. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Lowestoft Journal