Rowers seal Atlantic victory
Hayley MaceAfter two months at sea, two school friends are celebrating after winning a gruelling Transatlantic rowing race.Oliver Back, from Oulton Broad near Lowestoft, and James Croome, from Whitwell Common near Reepham, crossed the finish line in Antigua in the early hours of Friday morning to seal victory in the pairs class of the 2009 Woodvale Atlantic Rowing Race.Hayley Mace
After two months at sea, two school friends are celebrating after winning a gruelling Transatlantic rowing race.
Oliver Back, from Oulton Broad near Lowestoft, and James Croome, from Whitwell Common near Reepham, crossed the finish line in Antigua in the early hours of Friday morning to seal victory in the pairs class of the 2009 Woodvale Atlantic Rowing Race.
The pair, both 26, set off from La Gomera in the Canaries on January 4 and have since struggled through storms and rowed alongside dolphins to cover 2,934 nautical miles in their boat, the QBE Insurance Challenge.
Achieving overall second place in the challenge, they finished the race at 5.45am local time in an impressive 59 days, 16 hours and 17 minutes, achieving their own ambition of making a sub-60 day crossing.
You may also want to watch:
A race spokesman said: 'James & Olli have both been very focused from the beginning of their campaign with the main goal and focus to win the race and what a fine job they have done of the pair's class. They have certainly had their fair share of ups and downs.'
- 1 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests
- 2 Coronavirus cases in East Suffolk almost double in a week
- 3 Tributes paid to 'intelligent, humble, quiet and caring' family man
- 4 Seafood restaurant and bar set to transform historic Lowestoft pub
- 5 Sexual misconduct allegations against Suffolk police officers revealed under FoI laws
- 6 Lowestoft-area high school honours Year 11 students with glitzy prom
- 7 Family fundraising for Aimee, 16, after leukaemia diagnosis
- 8 'The vibe is good' - Return to normality on first day of Latitude Festival
- 9 O2 phone store burglars facing jail terms for break-in
- 10 Man charged after late night crash in Lowestoft