School praised for its work with boys
A LOWESTOFT school has been highlighted by Ofsted for its trend-bucking work with boys.The progress made by nine to 13-year-old boys at the Harris Middle School impressed the school inspection body so much that their approach will feature in a publication about good practice.
A LOWESTOFT school has been highlighted by Ofsted for its trend-bucking work with boys.
The progress made by nine to 13-year-old boys at the Harris Middle School impressed the school inspection body so much that their approach will feature in a publication about good practice.
Jackie Bowmaker, acting headteacher at Harris Middle, said: "A visit from Ofsted isn't usually something that a school looks forward to. But it's great to have a visit when you know that what you're doing is working, that children are getting the benefit from it, and that what you do might help other children in other schools as well.
"With the national trend being for boys to do less well, it was great that the inspector who came said the children were polite and the working atmosphere quiet and purposeful."
You may also want to watch:
Patricia O'Brien, portfolio holder for children, schools and young people's services, said: "This recognition of good practice shows what can be done to encourage boys to achieve more at school. I would like to congratulate the Harris Middle School for its hard work and hope that its success can be passed on through the county."
- 1 Popular family business opens new shop in Lowestoft town centre
- 2 First look at Lowestoft's newest late night venue - part of £150k investment
- 3 New shop set to open in Lowestoft town centre
- 4 New Tesco store to open in coastal town centre
- 5 'Inspirational' Olympian Charley honoured during visit to former school
- 6 Traffic to be diverted with busy road in Lowestoft closed for 10 days
- 7 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 8 Man on walking tour of UK's coastline 'met with so much love' in Suffolk
- 9 NessFest to return to Lowestoft with free events all week
- 10 Man and woman accused of supplying cannabis and money laundering