Schools and groups across Lowestoft get set for a day of charity fund-raising
- Credit: Archant
Hundreds of people across Waveney will be putting the fun into fund-raising today.
Joining forces with others across the UK to raise millions of pounds for good causes, a series of events are set to take place in support of Children in Need 2014.
From baking cakes to wearing spotty clothes, sponsored head shaves to super heroes lining up in the classroom – something for everyone will be in store locally.
With the annual telethon taking centre stage on BBC One from 7pm this evening, schoolchildren, teachers and students are among those who will be busy throughout today doing their bit for the popular cause.
The BBC Children in Need Appeal is a registered charity with the aim to make a positive change to the lives of disadvantaged children and young people across the UK.
You may also want to watch:
At Gunton Community Primary School in Lowestoft, children are being encouraged to attend school today dressed as a super hero for the day – for a donation of £1. Last year the school in Gainsborough Drive raised more than £480 – but with the likes of Batman, Superman, Spiderman and Ironman all descending on the classrooms for a special Superheroes Day and a Children in Need fair also being held, organisers are hoping lots of money will be raised.
Staff and students at Ormiston Denes Academy will also be taking part in the annual fund-raiser once more. A non-uniform day is being held, along with a Pudsey cake sale – and at lunchtime, teachers and students will be involved in a head shave in the main assembly hall.
- 1 RNLI called as guard vessel found aground
- 2 'I need to see a body' - Sister's torment over speedboat deaths
- 3 Joy as funding boost awarded to school creating sensory playground
- 4 Obsessed man thought barmaid was in love with him
- 5 Public urged to take Covid test if not feeling 100%
- 6 Boat rescued after getting into difficulty near pier
- 7 Official unveiling for new nature reserve boardwalk in Lowestoft
- 8 Weather warning as more thunderstorms set to hit parts of the region
- 9 Drivers warned of disruption as work carried out on Bascule Bridge
- 10 Woman, 18, victim of possible sexual assault in Lowestoft
At Lowestoft College, the cache L1 diploma in Caring for Children students will be raising money for Children in Need, with a range of activities being held.
There will be a cake stall, a raffle and tombola and various Pudsey Bear themed games. A college spokesman said: 'Students will also be going round the college with collection buckets and will be knocking on staff room doors to ask for donations.
'Last year the students raised more than £350, which we hope to beat this year.'
And on Monday evening, at the college's open evening event, Images Hair Salon – which is based at the main Lowestoft College campus – organised cut and blow-drys for £5 and wash and blow-drys for £2, with all proceeds donated to the worthy cause.
? Are you holding a Children in Need event? Send your pictures and event details to email@example.com