Search continues for ‘potentially vulnerable’ missing 79-year-old
- Credit: Archant
Police are continuing to search for a missing 79-year-old as concerns grow for his wellbeing.
George Vale, from Hopton, was reported missing at around 9am yesterday (Friday, September 7).
It is believed he is somewhere in the Lowestoft area.
A Suffolk Fire Service drone was deployed at 7.45pm last night and lifeboat crews from Great Yarmouth and Gorleston, and Lowestoft also searched the coastline.
Coastguard crews from Lowestoft and Gorleston also took part in the search, along with a coastguard rescue helicopter.
You may also want to watch:
Speaking yesterday Duty Inspector Gina Hopkinson said: 'We actually received the missing persons report this morning about 9.30am, and he's been missing since 9am.
'He is elderly which suggests he is potentially vulnerable.'
- 1 Woman punches man on doorstep and snatches his mobile phone
- 2 Pub boss struggling to recruit ahead of lockdown lifting
- 3 RNLI called out to rescue 'soggy doggy'
- 4 Friends and family raise £15,000 for father with rare cancer
- 5 Village rounds on council over 'disgraceful' road resurfacing that covered cycle lanes and blocked drains
- 6 Joy as pub prepares to reopen for first time since September
- 7 Man admits crashing into five cars and a level crossing
- 8 CCTV shows moment father who died was restrained by Pontins security staff
- 9 'Fantastic' - excitement from businesses ahead of May 17 changes
- 10 Police officers could lose jobs over father's holiday park death
Coastguard rescue officer David Burwood said: 'A major search was conducted along the shore from Benacre Sluice to Gorleston Harbour entrance with all teams conducting thorough searches both along the coast and out to sea.
'Air searches were carried out by the Coastguard Rescue Helicopter and also Suffolk Fire and Rescue's Drone Team.
'Searches along Lowestoft Harbour to Oulton Broad were also conducted.'
He added: 'Nothing was found after many hours of searching and just before midnight the teams were stood down pending further investigation.'
Mr Vale is described as a slim white male, 5ft 8in tall, with brown greying hair which is three to four inches long.
It is unknown what he is wearing.
Anyone with information should call 101 and reference CAD 96.