Search continues for ‘potentially vulnerable’ missing 79-year-old
- Credit: Archant
Police are continuing to search for a missing 79-year-old as concerns grow for his wellbeing.
George Vale, from Hopton, was reported missing at around 9am yesterday (Friday, September 7).
It is believed he is somewhere in the Lowestoft area.
A Suffolk Fire Service drone was deployed at 7.45pm last night and lifeboat crews from Great Yarmouth and Gorleston, and Lowestoft also searched the coastline.
Coastguard crews from Lowestoft and Gorleston also took part in the search, along with a coastguard rescue helicopter.
You may also want to watch:
Speaking yesterday Duty Inspector Gina Hopkinson said: 'We actually received the missing persons report this morning about 9.30am, and he's been missing since 9am.
'He is elderly which suggests he is potentially vulnerable.'
- 1 Five new businesses to discover in Lowestoft as lockdown eases
- 2 Police thank public after tracing Lowestoft woman
- 3 Sergeant reveals what's in store for new TV show with Suffolk police team
- 4 Smokehouse to be showcased on BBC One’s Antiques Road Trip
- 5 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 6 7 outdoor events happening in Norfolk and Waveney this weekend
- 7 Air ambulance called after man and woman suffer medical emergencies
- 8 Lowestoft mother spared jail after admitting cruelty to one-year-old son
- 9 Students surprise care home residents as part of community project
- 10 'Lucky number seven' - Landlord opens 'flagship' pub in hometown
Coastguard rescue officer David Burwood said: 'A major search was conducted along the shore from Benacre Sluice to Gorleston Harbour entrance with all teams conducting thorough searches both along the coast and out to sea.
'Air searches were carried out by the Coastguard Rescue Helicopter and also Suffolk Fire and Rescue's Drone Team.
'Searches along Lowestoft Harbour to Oulton Broad were also conducted.'
He added: 'Nothing was found after many hours of searching and just before midnight the teams were stood down pending further investigation.'
Mr Vale is described as a slim white male, 5ft 8in tall, with brown greying hair which is three to four inches long.
It is unknown what he is wearing.
Anyone with information should call 101 and reference CAD 96.