Shoe specialist keeps cops a step ahead
SUFFOLK police have said employing a shoe specialist to keep one step ahead of the criminals is paying dividends. A dedicated footwear expert is now being used whenever a thief puts their foot in it at a crime scene, leaving tell-tale clues behind them.
SUFFOLK police have said employing a shoe specialist to keep one step ahead of the criminals is paying dividends.
A dedicated footwear expert is now being used whenever a thief puts their foot in it at a crime scene, leaving tell-tale clues behind them.
The relatively new position within Suffolk Constabulary has led to the downfall of persistent offenders who have committed more than 50 crimes, according to a report for the county's police authority.
On Friday members of the authority will hear the force's footwear intelligence post, a civilian role, has been responsible for solving dozens of burglaries and vehicle offences already this year.
You may also want to watch:
Furthermore, papers prepared for the authority's meeting state that a National Footwear Reference collection will be implemented, along with additional software for identifying all sorts of shoes, boots and trainers.
The current process of assessing shoeprints is similar to analysing fingerprints from crime scenes.
- 1 Could direct trains run from Lowestoft to London again?
- 2 'Anti-social rider' has quadbike seized in the snow
- 3 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 4 'Disappointment' as thieves raid £16,000 of kit from town's sports club
- 5 Butchers' could be converted into cafe under new plans
- 6 'This is very welcome': Go-ahead for HMO close to town centre
- 7 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 8 Takeaway deli set to open in coastal town
- 9 Name unveiled for new Bungay SEND school
- 10 Junction closed for third crossing preparations
Although footwear intelligence has been used for more than a year, a dedicated resource for aid to crime-fighting did not come into effect until the end of last year.
The job had previously been part of the work done by scenes of crime officers in Suffolk.
However, now it has become a specialism with a member of staff appointed to work in this field of expertise.
The post of footwear intelligence officer is based at the constabulary's scientific headquarters in Halesworth.