Sir Bobby's charity reaches �2m milestone
A CHARITY set up by Ipswich Town legend Sir Bobby Robson has raised more than �2 million to help fight cancer.Former Newcastle United footballer Alan Shearer, who is a patron of the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation, has today announced that the charity has raised more than �2 million.
A CHARITY set up by Ipswich Town legend Sir Bobby Robson has raised more than �2 million to help fight cancer.
Former Newcastle United footballer Alan Shearer, who is a patron of the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation, has today announced that the charity has raised more than �2 million.
The Sir Bobby Robson Foundation's initial target of �500,000 was required to equip a cancer trials research centre at the Northern Centre for Cancer Care at the Freeman Hospital in Newcastle.
This figure was reached just seven weeks after the charity launch and the Sir Bobby Robson Cancer Trials Research Centre opened in February this year to treat patients from across the North East, North Yorkshire and Cumbria.
You may also want to watch:
Following a generous donation of almost �90,000 from the Football Association (FA), the charity's total now stands at more than �2 million.
Mr Shearer said: 'Sadly nobody goes through their lives unaffected by cancer and I'm proud that there are experts working towards a cure for the disease here in the North East.'
- 1 Delays expected as 48-ton boat is transported through region
- 2 Man in 20s among further Covid deaths at Norfolk hospital
- 3 Lowestoft gets £24.9m for key town centre projects
- 4 When do the clocks go forward in 2021?
- 5 Parts of Waveney could be Covid-free for first time in months, figures show
- 6 Pontins accused of using discriminatory 'undesirable guest' list
- 7 'A big thank you' - Superheroes salute key workers and NHS staff
- 8 The voice of the Shipping Forecast publishes latest fox storybook
- 9 Best friends to launch sweet shop together in seaside town
- 10 Honda motorbike stolen in overnight theft
To make a donation, view messages of support, or for more information on The Sir Bobby Robson Foundation, please visit www.sirbobbyrobsonfoundation.org.uk or donate by sending a cheque to Sir Bobby Robson Foundation, PO Box 307, Heaton NE7 7QG.