Sir Bobby's charity reaches �2m milestone
A CHARITY set up by Ipswich Town legend Sir Bobby Robson has raised more than �2 million to help fight cancer.Former Newcastle United footballer Alan Shearer, who is a patron of the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation, has today announced that the charity has raised more than �2 million.
A CHARITY set up by Ipswich Town legend Sir Bobby Robson has raised more than �2 million to help fight cancer.
Former Newcastle United footballer Alan Shearer, who is a patron of the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation, has today announced that the charity has raised more than �2 million.
The Sir Bobby Robson Foundation's initial target of �500,000 was required to equip a cancer trials research centre at the Northern Centre for Cancer Care at the Freeman Hospital in Newcastle.
This figure was reached just seven weeks after the charity launch and the Sir Bobby Robson Cancer Trials Research Centre opened in February this year to treat patients from across the North East, North Yorkshire and Cumbria.
You may also want to watch:
Following a generous donation of almost �90,000 from the Football Association (FA), the charity's total now stands at more than �2 million.
Mr Shearer said: 'Sadly nobody goes through their lives unaffected by cancer and I'm proud that there are experts working towards a cure for the disease here in the North East.'
- 1 Mystery sculpture of man briefly appears on Suffolk beach
- 2 Busy road near Lowestoft set to close for 'urgent' drainage works
- 3 Woman in 60s airlifted to hospital after medical emergency
- 4 'Ambitious ' Lowestoft heritage regeneration plan hailed by national body
- 5 Man charged over attempted robbery with imitation firearm
- 6 Works to restore shopfronts dating back to 1860s on High Street
- 7 Dad's anger as Lowestoft play area closed off months after daughter's fall
- 8 Car battery stolen after 'bonnet forced open' during overnight theft
- 9 Fresh warning after shed burglaries in Lowestoft
- 10 Work to locate 'buried oil deposits' on beach after Eleni V tanker spill
To make a donation, view messages of support, or for more information on The Sir Bobby Robson Foundation, please visit www.sirbobbyrobsonfoundation.org.uk or donate by sending a cheque to Sir Bobby Robson Foundation, PO Box 307, Heaton NE7 7QG.