Sir Bobby's charity reaches �2m milestone
A CHARITY set up by Ipswich Town legend Sir Bobby Robson has raised more than �2 million to help fight cancer.Former Newcastle United footballer Alan Shearer, who is a patron of the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation, has today announced that the charity has raised more than �2 million.
A CHARITY set up by Ipswich Town legend Sir Bobby Robson has raised more than �2 million to help fight cancer.
Former Newcastle United footballer Alan Shearer, who is a patron of the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation, has today announced that the charity has raised more than �2 million.
The Sir Bobby Robson Foundation's initial target of �500,000 was required to equip a cancer trials research centre at the Northern Centre for Cancer Care at the Freeman Hospital in Newcastle.
This figure was reached just seven weeks after the charity launch and the Sir Bobby Robson Cancer Trials Research Centre opened in February this year to treat patients from across the North East, North Yorkshire and Cumbria.
Following a generous donation of almost �90,000 from the Football Association (FA), the charity's total now stands at more than �2 million.
Mr Shearer said: 'Sadly nobody goes through their lives unaffected by cancer and I'm proud that there are experts working towards a cure for the disease here in the North East.'
- 1 Mum 'ecstatic' as SEND placement finally found for son with complex needs
- 2 Can you spot yourself in these Lowestoft school photos through the years?
- 3 'We will all miss him': Poignant tributes paid to 'brilliant' solicitor
- 4 Clean up operation after potato slurry spill in Lowestoft
- 5 Where will new homes be built in Lowestoft?
- 6 Popular bookstore looking ahead to next new chapter in Lowestoft
- 7 Work begins on demountable flood gate in Lowestoft
- 8 Care home builds 'shopping lane' to promote resident independence
- 9 Lowestoft man arrested 200 miles from home after police hunt
- 10 See inside £1.25m bungalow for sale in one of Suffolk's 'poshest' villages
To make a donation, view messages of support, or for more information on The Sir Bobby Robson Foundation, please visit www.sirbobbyrobsonfoundation.org.uk or donate by sending a cheque to Sir Bobby Robson Foundation, PO Box 307, Heaton NE7 7QG.