Sizewell B blaze 'no risk to public'
A SENIOR firefighter has sought to reassure the public over the scale of a fire at Sizewell B nuclear power station.About 50 firefighters were at the scene for seven hours after fire broke out in a charcoal filter on Friday night.
A SENIOR firefighter has sought to reassure the public over the scale of a fire at Sizewell B nuclear power station.
About 50 firefighters were at the scene for seven hours after fire broke out in a charcoal filter on Friday night.
But Kevin Burton, an area manager for Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service who was in charge of crews at the incident, said their presence was mainly precautionary and that the eat generated by the small blaze was less than that of lit a cigarette.
The fire began just before 8.45pm in a cabinet measuring around 10 cubic metres - a duct system which had not been used for about 18 months.
You may also want to watch:
The heavy steel construction had a door on either side with a filter containing fresh charcoal taking up about a third of the space inside the cabinet.
In the air flow, there was a heater to ensure no moisture got into the charcoal.
- 1 'Enough to go around' - Drivers urged not to panic-buy at petrol pumps
- 2 Man's death 'remains unexplained' after body found in Lowestoft
- 3 Lowestoft family feature on Channel 5 show with Nick Knowles
- 4 Hunt for three men 'ongoing' after victim hit during Lowestoft assault
- 5 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
- 6 Have your say about the future of Pakefield's eroding coastline
- 7 Coastal town to feature on BBC One’s Antiques Road Trip once more
- 8 Search continues for man with knife who chased victim into KFC
- 9 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 10 Stranded fishing vessel towed to safety by lifeboats
It is believed a component of the heater was faulty, causing it to malfunction and the charcoal to burn.
A little flame was seen coming from the filter as it began smouldering.
Around 45 firefighters were sent to the power station, including retained crews from the surrounding areas.
However, Mr Burton said the incident was dealt with by two crews employed at Sizewell B.
Water was put through pipes to extinguish the blaze, but initially it did not seem to make any difference.
Mr Burton said thermal imaging cameras were used to check on the heat and the temperature of the fire was just above 200C. This can be put in perspective by the fact that a lit cigarette burned at 300C, he added.
The effort to put the fire out and cool down the charcoal was hampered as engineers were needed to clamp the cabinet doors shut as the water was pumped in.
Mr Burton said: 'The crews that were carrying out the work were from Sizewell. Our role was providing advice, support and direction for what they were doing.'
One of the first officers on the scene had taken the precaution of calling in more firefighters in case the incident spread.
He said: 'If the fire had got outside the cabinet and duct work, then we could have be dealing with a bigger incident. However, it was only a small fire and not a fast burning one. There was no radioactive material involved whatsoever.'
Jim Crawford, Sizewell B's station director said: 'At no time was there any risk to the public.'
Sizewell B has been shut since the end of March and is not expected to be in operation again until the third quarter of 2010.