Sizewell set for new nuclear station
SIZEWELL has been listed as a potential new site for a nuclear power station as part of locations unveiled by the Government today.Nine of the locations, including Sizewell and Dungeness in Kent, have already been home to nuclear reactors.
SIZEWELL has been listed as a potential new site for a nuclear power station as part of locations unveiled by the Government today.
Nine of the locations, including Sizewell and Dungeness in Kent, have already been home to nuclear reactors.
The sites have been nominated by companies interested in building the stations and have been initially approved by the Government.
Also in the list is Hartlepool in Cleveland; Heysham in Lancashire; Sellafield in Cumbria; Braystones in Cumbria; Kirksanton in Cumbria; Wylfa Peninsula in Anglesey; Oldbury in Gloucestershire; Hinkley Point in Somerset and Bradwell in Essex.
You may also want to watch:
The proposals form part of the Government's plan to build a new generation of nuclear power stations to help close what has been described as a "generation gap" expected as existing nuclear and coal-fired stations shutdown.
Members of the public are now being asked for their views during a month-long consultation period.
- 1 Projects to restore axed rail routes get £794m boost
- 2 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 3 People 'losing patience' with neighbours who flout Covid rules, police say
- 4 New outdoor theatre hopes to bring post lockdown performances to the woods
- 5 Minke whale to be removed from Lowestoft beach
- 6 It's 'a long, long way' until lockdown restrictions are lifted - Hancock
- 7 Hundreds receive coronavirus vaccine at pharmacy
- 8 Free scooter hire in town for those getting Covid vaccinations
- 9 Covid infection rate in Ipswich continues to fall below England average
- 10 A life in agony: 27-year-old's daily torture battling constant pain