Skatepark campaign steps up a gear
A CAMPAIGN to build a new skatepark in Kessingland has stepped up a gear with letters being delivered to homes in the village asking if people will support the plans.
In a bid to win public backing its scheme, the Kessingland Skatepark Support Group, which is made up of young people and their parents, is asking villagers for their views on its proposals.
The letter says: 'The young people and families preferred option is to locate a skatepark at the Francis Road community playing field in line with facilities already located there.' It then asks people if they are in favour of having the skatepark on the Francis Road playing field or not, and there is a comment box allowing people to express their views. As well as delivering letters, members of the support group will be knocking on people's doors today and tomorrow to canvass opinion.
As previously reported in The Journal, the plans for a skate and BMX park in the village have been a source of controversy because although the Francis Road playing field is owned by the parish council, its leaseholder, Kessingland Sports and Social Club (KSSC), is against the proposal to build it on that site.
KSSC says it opposes the skatepark as it will have to find money to run it and because a Waveney District Council report has identified an alternative site in the village which, the club claims, is more suitable.
You may also want to watch:
Earlier this month a meeting of the parish council heard from its chairman Liam Martin that '99pc' of people in the village wanted the skatepark on the playing field. The parish council also supports the plans.
- 1 First look at Lowestoft's newest late night venue - part of £150k investment
- 2 Popular family business opens new shop in Lowestoft town centre
- 3 Teens arrested in connection with burglaries and arson at Lowestoft schools
- 4 New shop set to open in Lowestoft town centre
- 5 Man and woman accused of supplying cannabis and money laundering
- 6 New Tesco store to open in coastal town centre
- 7 'Inspirational' Olympian Charley honoured during visit to former school
- 8 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 9 Traffic to be diverted with busy road in Lowestoft closed for 10 days
- 10 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties