Slimmer named ‘man of the year’ after losing five stone in 22 weeks
- Credit: Archant
A super slimmer from Carlton Colville has be named 'Man of the Year' after dropping five stone in 22 weeks.
Mark Smith has gone from 21 and a half stone to under 16 and a half stone since joining Slimming World in January, and was awarded the title by members of his Thursday evening group.
Like many men, Mark thought that slimming clubs were aimed at women and assumed the focus would be on 'diet' food and talking about people's emotions.
However, he decided to give it a try after realising that he was approaching the age at which his father passed away of a heart attack and felt he needed to make lifestyle changes around his increasing weight.
Mr Smith said: 'Deep down I'd been unhappy with my weight for some time but it took me a long time to face up to it. And then when I did admit to myself that I wanted to lose weight I still didn't want to ask for help.
You may also want to watch:
'I've realised now though that far from being weak, asking for help takes strength of character and getting support to make changes has given me a sense of confidence that is benefitting every aspect of my life.
'It was nerve-wracking walking through those doors for the first time but I wasn't the only man there and everyone was so supportive. Now I look forward to the sessions. There is lots of banter and laughter and I get some really good ideas too, from new recipe suggestions to ideas to boost my activity levels.'
- 1 'You want to be un-vaccinated? Go to Lowestoft' - rock legend's jab at town
- 2 First look at Lowestoft's newest late night venue - part of £150k investment
- 3 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 4 How well do you know Lowestoft?
- 5 Former butchers shop in Lowestoft is sold at auction
- 6 Part of A143 closed after three-vehicle crash in early hours
- 7 Teens arrested in connection with burglaries and arson at Lowestoft schools
- 8 Man and woman accused of supplying cannabis and money laundering
- 9 Popular family business opens new shop in Lowestoft town centre
- 10 New Tesco store to open in coastal town centre
As the weight came off, Mr Smith found he had more energy too.
He said: 'I started cycling to work a couple of times a week and gradually built it up to everyday. I can honestly say I feel like a different man since losing weight. Now I not only cycle to work everyday I also cycle at weekends and in the evenings because I have more energy than I did before, I don't get breathless when out and about, I have cycled up to 70 miles in a week which is something I would have never been able to do before.'
Tamsyn Ambrose, who runs the Thursday evening Slimming World group in Carlton Colville, said she was incredibly proud of him.
'He has done brilliantly and we're all amazed by his transformation,' she said. 'He's a real inspiration to the group.'
To find out more about the group call Tamsyn on 07465406122.