Small stores in Lowestoft and Southwold given a boost
- Credit: Archant
Independent retailers in Lowestoft and Southwold were given a boost as part of the national Small Business Saturday event.
Stores in the two towns offered exclusive one-day only discounts and promotions to encourage people into the area, with Waveney residents encouraged to show their support for smaller shops and help boost the economy.
Earlier in the week Waveney District Council leader Colin Law and Darren Newman, manager of Lowestoft Vision Business Improvement District (BID) visited Salvina's Traditional English Sweet Shop, which recently opened in Lowestoft's historic High Street and offered free Christmas sweets to the first 10 customers on Saturday.
'Recently we experienced 'Black Friday', which encouraged people to focus solely on low prices,' Mr Law said. 'Whilst everyone likes a bargain, the majority of Black Friday promotions emanated from large multi-national organisations.
'Of course, these stores have their place - however I would like everyone to remember the wealth of independent stores which are right on our doorsteps.
You may also want to watch:
'These businesses can only thrive with ongoing customer support, not just on Saturday but continuously throughout the year.'
Small Business Saturday was supported by Waveney District Council and Waveney Business Forum, which aims to raise the profile of local businesses through involvement in national campaigns as well as the provision of training and support.
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of firearms offences in Lowestoft
- 2 Man hands himself into police after firearms incident in Lowestoft
- 3 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 4 A47 set for two weeks of roadworks from Monday
- 5 Historic Lowestoft pub transformed as new seafood restaurant opens
- 6 Smokehouse welcomes arrival of new fish smoking kiln - by crane
- 7 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 8 Plans for ex-restaurant to become pub revealed as licence granted
- 9 Woman who was found with maggots living in hand evicted from care home
- 10 Man, 45, jailed for Lowestoft burglaries
As part of its Small Business Saturday promotional campaign, Waveney Business Forum ran a Best Dressed Window competition across Lowestoft, Kirkley and Southwold town centres.
Have you got a business story? Tell The Journal by calling 01502 525825 or email email@example.com