Smash hit musical coup has town ready to rock
A SMASH hit musical is set to rock Lowestoft with a regional premiere early next year.
The Marina Theatre will stage the hugely successful West End production Dreamboats and Petticoats for one week from February 20 – and audiences are being promised 'the greatest time of your life'.
The hit show – which will be the first full-scale musical to play at The Marina in more than a year – was inspired by the million-selling albums of the same name, featuring rock 'n' roll and skiffle songs from the 1950s and early '60s.
The amazing success of the first three albums in the Dreamboats and Petticoats series saw more than two million copies sold as they spent several weeks at the number one spot in the compilation charts.
This led to the stage production, which opened at The Churchill Theatre in Bromley in February 2009 to rave critical reviews and widespread audience acclaim, fuelled by growing interest in musical nostalgia.
You may also want to watch:
Since its launch, more than a million people have been enchanted by the tale of two talented young musicians, Norman and Bobby, who compete for the affections of the petticoated Laura.
Written by Laurence Marks and Maurice Gran – the team behind the successful TV comedy series Goodnight Sweetheart, Birds of a Feather, The New Statesmen and Shine On Harvey Moon – the production will play at the Marina for just one week, starting on February 20, so demand for tickets is expected to be high.
- 1 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 2 Popular Southwold fish and chip shop for sale for £850k
- 3 Latitude Festival 2021: Supergrass kicks off sunny second day
- 4 Iconic hospital likely to be sold to private developer
- 5 Suffolk-built boats relive glory days on Oulton Broad
- 6 Family fundraising for Aimee, 16, after leukaemia diagnosis
- 7 'The vibe is good' - Return to normality on first day of Latitude Festival
- 8 Seafood restaurant and bar set to transform historic Lowestoft pub
- 9 Lowestoft-area high school honours Year 11 students with glitzy prom
- 10 Bouncing back: The perfect place in Lowestoft for a sunny day out
Featuring songs from Roy Orbison, The Shadows, Eddie Cochran, Billy Fury, Del Shannon, Chuck Berry and other stars from the rock' n' roll era, the show's song-list includes a host of favourites including Let's Dance, Shakin' All Over, Bobby's Girl, Little Town Flirt, Only Sixteen, Sleepwalk, Runaround Sue, Happy Birthday Sweet 16, What a Wonderful World, Let's Twist Again, Let It Be Me and many more memorable hits.
And with Dreamboats set to be the first full scale musical to play at the Marina in over a year, The Journal understands that a number of other major tours and productions are in the pipeline in readiness for the changes which will see its management transferred to a newly-established charitable trust later this year.
Tickets for Dreamboats and Petticoats are available from the Marina box office from today on 01502 533200.