Revealed: Every burglary in Suffolk mapped
PUBLISHED: 05:30 08 October 2020 | UPDATED: 10:40 08 October 2020
Sarah Lucy Brown
Burglars are likely to get away with their crimes, police figures suggest, with only 6pc of break-ins solved across Suffolk since the start of last year.
Of the 5,265 break-ins recorded by Suffolk Police since January, 2019, 345 have been solved, while officers were unable to identify a suspect in 79pc of cases.
A map of every burglary in Suffolk since January 2019 shows hotspots around Ipswich and large towns, such as Colchester and Bury St Edmunds.
•Search the map above to see the figures for where you live
Ipswich saw a third more burglaries than any other area, with police figures showing solve rates are largely similar across urban and rural settings.
But in Waveney, police were able to solve 16pc of 535 burglaries since January last year, compared to an average solve rate of 5pc for Suffolk’s other six local authority areas.
The number of burglaries has fallen consistently since the start of lockdown, with only 172 recorded in August this year, 40pc less than the same month last year.
You may also want to watch:
Figures show there have been 440 fewer burglaries across Suffolk this year compared to the same eight months last year, as the coronavirus crisis kept people in their homes.
But of the 345 burglary cases solved since the start of last year, available police data shows only one case where the offender went to prison.
A further 15 culprits were dealt with through community orders, cautions or local resolutions.
On Tuesday, a burglar who broke into a family home in Leiston, East Suffolk, while the occupants were sleeping was jailed for 12 months.
Morgan, of Howard Street South, Great Yarmouth, admitted burglary at a terraced house in High Street, Leiston in February last year and stealing an iPhone 6, an Xbox and two controllers.
Sentencing 28-year-old Kyle Morgan, Judge David Pugh said he had a history of ignoring court orders and told him: “Your past has caught up with you.”
He said that in an impact statement the victims of the burglary had described their distress at the burglary and the knowledge that someone had been “creeping” round their home while they were asleep.
Det Chief Supt Eamonn Bridger said: “Acquisitive burglary remains a force priority and we have a specific strategy and a detailed delivery plan for this type of crime, at the heart of which is a desire to do our very best for victims by conducting effective investigations. “The pandemic has meant access to the court system, the prison service to speak to suspects and access to witnesses could be challenging at times and this has been the case nationally. However, the burglary rate has been declining in Suffolk for a number of years and it’s important to make clear it doesn’t just relate to residential properties, but outbuildings, sheds and garages.” He added: “Obtaining evidential material that reaches a high enough threshold for prosecution can be challenging, and without this securing a charge is not always possible.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Lowestoft Journal. Click the link in the orange box above for details.