Women's Link - For members of Somerleyton's Women's Link their June meeting last Thursday was a pudding evening and everyone was invited to bring along a pudding for all to try.
Women's Link - For members of Somerleyton's Women's Link their June meeting last Thursday was a pudding evening and everyone was invited to bring along a pudding for all to try. Members brought along their recipes to share as well, so that everyone could have a copy of each delicious dessert. The tables were spread with an array of tempting dishes which, needless to say contained a variety of delectable ingredients including lots of cream, sugar and fresh fruit. Member's diets may have suffered, but their taste buds certainly did not. The next meeting will be held on Thursday, July 16 when members will be travelling to Southwold's summer theatre to see a comedy entitled Love's a Luxury.
Scarecrow competition - The children at Somerleyton school were very busy last week making scarecrows for a competition last Friday afternoon. The results, which were certainly very imaginative, came in all shapes and sizes and were constructed from all manner of interesting materials. The competition was judged by Mary-Jane Leyne and the winners received prizes of garden spades and seeds. The scarecrows were then displayed in the school garden to take part in the Somerleyton open gardens event on Sunday.
Open gardens - The sun shone brilliantly for the open gardens event on Sunday. Twenty two lovingly tended gardens, large and small, were open around the village and 243 visitors came along to admire and enjoy them. A dedicated team supplied refreshments in the village hall, where a variety of plants was also on sale. The afternoon was most successful and raised over �1,000 which will be donated to the funds of the Ashby, Somerleyton and Herringfleet churches.
Church services - On Sunday, June 21, a service of matins will be held at 9.30am in St. Margaret's Church, Herring fleet, a service of holy communion will be held at 11am in St Mary's Church, Ashby, and a service of evensong will be held at 6.30pm in St. Mary's Church, Somerleyton.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 'Lucky number seven' - Landlord opens 'flagship' pub in hometown
- 2 Boy attacked by man in woodland in Lowestoft
- 3 Emergency works cause early morning traffic chaos on A47
- 4 Duo left shaken after youths threw stones and jumped on parked car
- 5 'Welcome back!' - Glasses raised as popular pub reopens
- 6 Royal Mail postboxes stolen from villages
- 7 'A real buzz' hits Lowestoft as lockdown rules ease
- 8 Arson probe after flames from lit aerosol cans cause late night damage
- 9 'Marmite' beach huts supported despite disability concerns
- 10 Woman punched on the ground after walking crutch was kicked away