Somerleyton Christmas tree festival brings festive cheer
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A church enjoyed some Christmas cheer as villagers showed off scores of very well-dressed trees.
St Mary's Church in Somerleyton was decorated with several beautifully-designed specimens at the annual Christmas tree festival.
Mary Truman, a churchwarden at St Mary's, said: 'The whole event was wonderful and there were lots of visitors on both days.
'Every tree was different and was dressed by people in the village and by organisations.
'The idea of decorating trees began around 1500, when Martin Luther was walking through some snow covered woods and was struck by the beauty of the snow in the branches of the trees.
You may also want to watch:
'He then decorated a little fir tree in his home and lit it with candles in honour of Christ.'
After the weekend, £1,000 was sent off to four local cancer charities, with £250 to the Children's Society.
- 1 'New lease of life' - Pubs ready after £35,000 investment
- 2 'The buzz is great' - Market stall owners take reins at town pub
- 3 Empty town centre shop sells at auction
- 4 Road to be closed and traffic diverted for overnight works
- 5 Queen writes to Lily, 5, in reply to condolences card
- 6 Search continues for Beccles man missing for five days
- 7 New faces announced for town councils after election votes counted
- 8 Firefighters rescue kittiwake caught in controversial netting
- 9 Coastal Post Office branch to close for four weeks
- 10 Man admits crashing into five cars and a level crossing
Mrs Truman said that cancer charities were chosen as: 'There have been a lot of people who have had cancer in the village and these charities are close to many people's hearts.
'There is also a memory tree in the church where people can write a message for a loved one who has passed.'
The annual Christingle celebration was also celebrated by children in the village.
Literally meaning 'Christ light', the tradition of placing a candle in an orange is a symbol for Christians of Jesus being the 'light of the world'.
Carols were also sung in the village as part of the festival.
Mrs Truman added: 'It was a very happy weekend.'
Do you have a story about a festive event? Tell The Journal by emailing email@example.com