Community group invited to parliament after trailblazing purchase of former hospital
- Credit: Nick Butcher
The remarkable achievement of a community group has been recognised with an invitation to parliament.
SouthGen - formerly Save Our Southwold - has been invited to the Palace of Westminster on Thursday, July 12, for a parliamentary reception hosted by Suffolk Coastal MP Thérèse Coffey.
The invitation is a nod to the successful purchase of the former Southwold Hospital for community use, the first acquisition of its kind in the UK.
All those who were instrumental in securing the deal have been invited to the capital, including SouthGen volunteers, Hastoe Housing Association and NHS Property Services.
Laurence Vulliamy, who was chairman of SouthGen during the two-year campaign, said: 'It's an honour to have the work of our local community group recognised by our MP.
You may also want to watch:
'We've been able to save an iconic local hospital building to ensure it's future use for the community. SouthGen has shown that local people can have an effective say in the future of their communities.'
- 1 Diversions in place as fibre cable works continue in Lowestoft
- 2 Norfolk boatyard sells at auction for almost double expected guide price
- 3 'Landmark' former Tuttles store could be set for new lease of life
- 4 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 5 Families urged to lock their sheds after string of burglaries
- 6 Suffolk police share ridiculous reasons for 999 calls
- 7 Severe delays on A146 after two-vehicle crash
- 8 Appeal to identify man, around 75, who died in medical episode
- 9 'You want to be un-vaccinated? Go to Lowestoft' - rock legend's jab at town
- 10 Stricken yacht towed to safety by lifeboat crew