Community group invited to parliament after trailblazing purchase of former hospital
- Credit: Nick Butcher
The remarkable achievement of a community group has been recognised with an invitation to parliament.
SouthGen - formerly Save Our Southwold - has been invited to the Palace of Westminster on Thursday, July 12, for a parliamentary reception hosted by Suffolk Coastal MP Thérèse Coffey.
The invitation is a nod to the successful purchase of the former Southwold Hospital for community use, the first acquisition of its kind in the UK.
All those who were instrumental in securing the deal have been invited to the capital, including SouthGen volunteers, Hastoe Housing Association and NHS Property Services.
Laurence Vulliamy, who was chairman of SouthGen during the two-year campaign, said: 'It's an honour to have the work of our local community group recognised by our MP.
You may also want to watch:
'We've been able to save an iconic local hospital building to ensure it's future use for the community. SouthGen has shown that local people can have an effective say in the future of their communities.'
- 1 Two Lowestoft recycling rounds costing £50,000 in contaminated waste
- 2 Woman taken to hospital following crash on A146
- 3 Roads flooded on east coast after heavy rain
- 4 Pupils forced to isolate after Covid test result wrongly recorded as positive
- 5 'Life and soul of the party': Lowestoft pub boss remembered
- 6 Sadness at latest Lowestoft town centre store closure
- 7 Teen burglar netted £80k of goods in four-year spree
- 8 Warning after man duped into paying £300 to 'forceful' rogue traders
- 9 Man charged with driving offences following police pursuit
- 10 Great-great-grandmother celebrates 101st birthday