Southwold Christmas lights switch on spreads festive joy to young and old
- Credit: Archant
The festive season officially arrived in Southwold tonight with the annual Christmas lights switch on.
At 5pm a large crowd gathered in the Market Place to watch Father Christmas push the button and illuminate the seaside town from the Town Hall balcony.
Although the weather was cold the festive spirit prevailed.
Michael Ladd, chairman of the Christmas lights committee, said: 'The switch on creates such a warm and seasonal atmosphere throughout the Market Place.
'It's been a huge success. With several thousand gathered to watch – I would think this is one of the largest switch ons of the past five years.
You may also want to watch:
'It is a community event and one that Southwold does so well.'
Mr Ladd added: 'I want to give a special thank you to Adnams for sponsoring the event because without them we really wouldn't be able to do any of this.'
- 1 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 2 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 3 New owners of popular park café set out vision for 'beautiful' venue
- 4 Heartbreak as netting traps and entangles endangered bird species
- 5 Tributes to high street mechanic known as a 'local legend'
- 6 Cornish man in search for long lost Lowestoft relatives
- 7 Man arrested after police find 200 cannabis plants in building
- 8 New convenience store earmarked for former Boots pharmacy
- 9 Town's Post Office branch to reopen
- 10 Man, 22, charged over stabbing as victim remains 'critical'
Festivities in Southwold will continue with a carol service at St Edmunds Church from 6pm on Sunday, December 17.