Southwold Festival of the Sea success
The venue and name may have changed, but 25 years of fishy tradition continued over the weekend in Southwold.The first Festival of the Sea - replacing the old Fish Fair killed off by reorganisation at Lowestoft docks - brought families flocking to Southwold Pier.
The venue and name may have changed, but 25 years of fishy tradition continued over the weekend in Southwold.
The first Festival of the Sea - replacing the old Fish Fair killed off by reorganisation at Lowestoft docks - brought families flocking to Southwold Pier.
As well as cookery demonstrations, the festival included everything from lessons in filleting and talks about the UK fishing industry to special festival menus at The Crown hotel.
Visitors were also treated to displays by Lowestoft and Southwold lifeboats, trips on the Coastal Voyager and a race yesterday by Southwold Yacht Club off the end of the pier.
You may also want to watch:
Pier managing director Stephen Bournes said: 'Bringing an event like this to the pier is something I have always wanted to do.
'We only had six weeks to organise it, but I said, 'let's do it and set the mould for next year'.
- 1 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 2 Minke whale washes up on beach
- 3 Touching tributes paid to 'great teacher and lovely man'
- 4 People in 'next priority' groups to receive covid jabs in coastal town
- 5 'Be vigilant' - man's warning after attempted car break-in
- 6 Former EDL organiser calls Covid 'a radical extremist's dream'
- 7 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
- 8 Why some over 70s get the Covid vaccine before over 80s
- 9 Centre of Lowestoft is a 'coronavirus hotspot'
- 10 Driver arrested for third time after drug driving
'Considering the timescale it has gone brilliantly well and we look like raising more than �5,000 for the Fishermen's Mission.'
He said the festival fitted what the area was about, making it very positive for tourism.
'Next year, we will be expanding it and putting on a big education day for children on the Friday, telling them what the sea is about,' he said.