Southwold socks it to bankers
RECESSION-hit Britons are getting their own back on banks by playing one of the country's newest amusement arcade games.Inventor Tim Hunkin says the "Whack A Banker" machine at his pier arcade in Southwold is proving a great investment.
RECESSION-hit Britons are getting their own back on banks by playing one of the country's newest amusement arcade games.
Inventor Tim Hunkin says the "Whack A Banker" machine at his pier arcade in Southwold is proving a great investment.
Punters are promised a "truly rewarding banking experience' and use a mallet to hit as many bald pop-up figures as they can in a limited time.
"You pay 40p to hit as many bankers as you can in 30 seconds as their heads pop up. It's based on an older game called 'Whack a Mole',' said Mr Hunkin, 58.
"It's proving very popular. I keep having to replace worn-out mallets.'
He added: "The bankers are bald and all look the same because that's how I think people see bankers - as faceless.
- 1 Adder warning in coastal areas as snakes come out to bask
- 2 One of the world's largest container ships anchors off coast
- 3 Travellers set up 'unauthorised' camp in popular park
- 4 Jailed this week: Paedophile and teen who blinded man
- 5 A146 near Beccles closed by police after crash
- 6 Woman who broke both legs in multiple places after fainting thanks NHS
- 7 Bank holiday beer festival to take place at seafront pavilion
- 8 New fully vegan café to open in Lowestoft
- 9 Is this Suffolk's most stylish beach hut?
- 10 Three men arrested after 'unofficial Supermarket Sweep' in town centre
"And, of course, the bankers never really lose. If you win the game a banker's voice says: 'You win. We retire. Thank you very much to the taxpayer for paying our pensions'.'