Southwold summer season boost
AN overgrown patch of land in Southwold could be turned into a community area in time for the summer season.Southwold Town Council has been trying for several years to get permission to look after the Klondyke, opposite the pier, and now Waveney District Council has agreed to hand the plot back to the town.
AN overgrown patch of land in Southwold could be turned into a community area in time for the summer season.
Southwold Town Council has been trying for several years to get permission to look after the Klondyke, opposite the pier, and now Waveney District Council has agreed to hand the plot back to the town.
Plans have been tabled in recent years to turn the site into a skateboard park but it is likely that at the moment the site will simply be cleared so that it can be used for picnics in the summer.
John Windell, a member of the town council's Klondyke working party, said: 'Our first plan is really to get it up and running in time for the summer holiday period.'
You may also want to watch:
Speaking at a meeting of Southwold Town Council on Tuesday night (April 28), Mr Windell said that he is planning to work with local young people, including members of the Klondyke Sports Committee, which was formed to draw up the skate park plans, over the coming weeks to get the site ready to be used recreationally in the summer.
A spokesman for Waveney District Council confirmed that the town council can tidy up the Klondyke site while the details of the transfer of the asset are drawn up.
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Air ambulance responds after man suffers emergency in Lowestoft
- 3 Young woman sets up new business with big plans for the future
- 4 Victorian footbridge in Lowestoft set to undergo 'significant repairs'
- 5 Traffic to be diverted with busy road in Lowestoft closed for 10 days
- 6 Discovery of personal items in woods 'not suspicious', police confirm
- 7 Man caught with indecent images of children as young as two to be sentenced
- 8 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 9 Man arrested on suspicion of stalking after notes left on women's cars
- 10 High Sheriff praises mental health support at high school in Lowestoft