Spate of jewellery thefts in Lowestoft and Beccles
POLICE have issued a warning urging people to remain vigilant following reports of a specific kind of jewellery theft in town centres across Suffolk.
A 67-year-old woman had her necklace stolen outside Morrisons in Beccles about 5.15pm last Thursday, December 9. She had been approached by a young woman who was trying to sell her jewellery, who placed necklaces around her neck and put items of jewellery in her hand.
The pensioner said that she did not want any and at this stage a shop worker intervened and told the younger woman to leave. A short time later the woman realised that her own necklace that she had originally been wearing had been taken.
A Suffolk police spokesman said: 'There have been five other similar offences to this recorded in Ipswich and Lowestoft during the last few weeks, where offenders have also pretended to be trying to sell items by placing them around people's necks. When the victim says they do not want to buy anything the jewellery is taken back but the victim's own jewellery is also stolen.'
Officers are urging anyone who is approached in a similar manner to call police immediately, using 999, if you suspect you may have been a victim of a theft.
You may also want to watch:
Anyone with information in relation to these incidents should contact Suffolk police on 01473 613500.
- 1 Woman punches man on doorstep and snatches his mobile phone
- 2 CCTV shows moment father who died was restrained by Pontins security staff
- 3 RNLI called out to rescue 'soggy doggy'
- 4 Village rounds on council over 'disgraceful' road resurfacing that covered cycle lanes and blocked drains
- 5 Man admits crashing into five cars and a level crossing
- 6 Road to be closed and traffic diverted for overnight works
- 7 'New lease of life' - Pubs ready after £35,000 investment
- 8 Police officers could lose jobs over father's holiday park death
- 9 'The buzz is great' - Market stall owners take reins at town pub
- 10 Pub boss struggling to recruit ahead of lockdown lifting