Spate of purse thefts in Lowestoft
A WARNING has been issued by police urging shoppers to keep a close eye on their valuables after a spate of purse thefts in Lowestoft town centre.At least six purses were stolen as thieves struck between last Thursday (August 13) and Saturday (August 15).
A WARNING has been issued by police urging shoppers to keep a close eye on their valuables after a spate of purse thefts in Lowestoft town centre.
At least six purses were stolen as thieves struck between last Thursday (August 13) and Saturday (August 15).
A 51-year-old woman, a 73-year-old woman and an 80-year-old woman all had their purses taken from their bags as they shopped between 12.15pm and 1.30pm on Thursday. It's possible these incidents may have happened in the British Heart Foundation shop, Poundland or the Britten Centre, or in London Road North.
The second lot of thefts happened between noon and 1.20pm on Saturday. This time a 62-year-old woman, a 67-year-old woman and a 68-year-old woman were targeted as thieves struck between WH Smith and Marks and Spencer, in Bevan Street East or in London Road North.
In all cases there were cash and cards in the purse stolen.
'Officers are continuing to urge shoppers to keep a close eye on valuables,' a police spokesman said. 'Remember to carry your bag in such a way that makes it impossible for anyone to 'dip' into and report any suspicious activity - such as people getting too close or bumping into to you or other shoppers in an unusual manner - to police immediately using 999.'
- 1 Man arrested in connection with Lowestoft assault
- 2 Garden transformed into Christmas winter wonderland for local causes
- 3 Suspended sentence for former church worker who indecently assaulted girl
- 4 Man 'remains under investigation' after car crashed into home
- 5 67-year-old Lowestoft drug dealer found with £200,000 of cocaine jailed
- 6 Roadworks to know about in Lowestoft this week
- 7 Milk in the spotlight for thought provoking projection in Lowestoft
- 8 Hundreds sign petition to fix closed Suffolk road as MP visits site
- 9 Lowestoft car damaged after being covered in food and brake fluid
- 10 Families flock to coastal town centre ahead of switch-on event
Anyone with information about any of these incidents should call Lowestoft police on 01986 835300.