Spate of purse thefts in Lowestoft
A WARNING has been issued by police urging shoppers to keep a close eye on their valuables after a spate of purse thefts in Lowestoft town centre.At least six purses were stolen as thieves struck between last Thursday (August 13) and Saturday (August 15).
A WARNING has been issued by police urging shoppers to keep a close eye on their valuables after a spate of purse thefts in Lowestoft town centre.
At least six purses were stolen as thieves struck between last Thursday (August 13) and Saturday (August 15).
A 51-year-old woman, a 73-year-old woman and an 80-year-old woman all had their purses taken from their bags as they shopped between 12.15pm and 1.30pm on Thursday. It's possible these incidents may have happened in the British Heart Foundation shop, Poundland or the Britten Centre, or in London Road North.
The second lot of thefts happened between noon and 1.20pm on Saturday. This time a 62-year-old woman, a 67-year-old woman and a 68-year-old woman were targeted as thieves struck between WH Smith and Marks and Spencer, in Bevan Street East or in London Road North.
You may also want to watch:
In all cases there were cash and cards in the purse stolen.
'Officers are continuing to urge shoppers to keep a close eye on valuables,' a police spokesman said. 'Remember to carry your bag in such a way that makes it impossible for anyone to 'dip' into and report any suspicious activity - such as people getting too close or bumping into to you or other shoppers in an unusual manner - to police immediately using 999.'
- 1 Man airlifted to hospital from beach given 'vital first aid' by lifeguards
- 2 'Awe-inspiring' progress on £126.75m Gull Wing third crossing
- 3 Plot of land near Beccles sells at auction for five times guide price
- 4 'You are our champion': Community praise for Olympian Charley Davison
- 5 Woman in 30s suffers head injuries in violent attack by two girls
- 6 McDonalds volunteers remove 20 wheelbarrow loads of algae from town's park
- 7 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 8 Official unveiling for new nature reserve boardwalk in Lowestoft
- 9 Devoted doctor, 93, to embark on dancing busk-athon in Lowestoft
- 10 Popular laser lights display set for welcome return to pier
Anyone with information about any of these incidents should call Lowestoft police on 01986 835300.