Special family day set to attract the shoppers in Lowestoft
RETAILERS in Lowestoft are continuing to pull out all the stops this year to ensure a warm festive welcome to customers both old and new.
Backing The Journal's Shop Local campaign, there is still lots to attract shoppers to the town's thriving retail centre – despite the wintry weather, which affected the annual lights switch on event last Thursday.
With one of the region's top pantomimes and Lowestoft town centre boasting one of the largest selections of national and independent retailers in Suffolk, the Town Centre Management Partnership – in conjunction with the Marina Theatre – this week announced plans for a very special family day, which in addition to late night shopping will ensure Lowestoft's principle retail area continues to shine even brighter over the festive season.
Emma King, town centre manager, said: 'We would like to thank everyone who took part in the lights switch-on event – the weather was absolutely appalling but people still came out to support us.
'Some of the cast members from Snow White drove hundreds of miles just to be with us on the night and we really appreciated their support.'
In addition to late night shopping, which now runs on Thursday evenings, a special Christmas family fun day is planned for Saturday, December 18.
The Town Management Partnership has received generous donations towards the event from Suffolk county councillors Colin Law, Kathy Gosling and Mary Rudd, enabling a host of activities to take place.
- 1 Restaurant owner 'optimistic' for future after Christmas cancellations
- 2 Road rage incident sees van driver run over by car
- 3 Man arrested in Lowestoft after stop and search finds cannabis and cash
- 4 New homes and retail unit bid for vacant former Tesco store
- 5 Holocaust memorial ceremony to be held at town's rail station
- 6 Coastal wreckage scuba diving club searching for new members
- 7 'Blight' of fly-tipping on rise in east Suffolk as council vows clampdown
- 8 Motorbike stolen during overnight theft in Lowestoft
- 9 Further cold weather alert for Norfolk and Waveney
- 10 'Don't suffer in silence': Support on offer as UK heads for inflation spike
There will be festive fun for all the family with a rodeo reindeer, winter rally scalextric, a snowboard simulator, bouncy castle and bungee run.
There will also be Christmas music and characters, balloon modelling, face painting and donkey 'reindeer' rides. Father Christmas and cast from Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs are set to make an appearance as is local radio station, The Beach.
The Family Fun day on Saturday, December 18 kicks off at 11am and in addition to over 40 major retailers as well as independent stores and a host of cafes and restaurants in which weary shoppers can rest, free parking is available in Lowestoft from 2pm on Saturdays, and all day parking on Sunday costs just �1.
It is also hoped that Waveney District Council will extend free parking to start from 10am in line with other towns in the district very soon.