Successful sponsored walk helps to promote Dementia Awareness Week
- Credit: Archant
Staff, residents and their families from Oulton Park Care Centre took part in a sponsored walk to promote Dementia Action Week.
They were joined by members of Lowestoft's Remember Me Club on the 7km route from Claremont Pier to Oulton Park Care Centre, in Union Lane, Oulton Broad.
Walkers, accompanied by a minibus from the Barchester Healthcare home, were sponsored as a bucket collection was held along the route during the fundraising event on Sunday, May 27.
Oulton Park activities co-ordinator, Heidi Innes, said: 'We had tremendous support from the public and our residents really enjoyed it. The money has yet to be counted but we are certain to have raised a substantial three figure sum.'
Pauline Mia, organiser of the Remember Me Club, said: 'I would like to thank everyone who turned up. If anyone still wants to make a donation, please contact me at Lowestoft Deaf Centre in Blackheath Road on Tuesday from 11.30am.'
You may also want to watch:
Members of the Remember Me Club, which supports people living with dementia and their families, were joined on the walk by guide dog Barnie and owner Ken's other dog, Yorkshire terrier Pickles.
The Remember Me Club holds a session at Oulton Park on the second Thursday of the month, from 2pm to 4pm.
- 1 New Tesco store to open in coastal town centre
- 2 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 3 Traffic to be diverted with busy road in Lowestoft closed for 10 days
- 4 Seaside town to test flood defences to prepare for 'tidal surge'
- 5 Pizza branch to expand into another unit
- 6 Air ambulance responds after man suffers emergency in Lowestoft
- 7 New group offering specialist support to children and youngsters
- 8 Drive-in fireworks display with food village returning for 2021
- 9 Power tools stolen during Lowestoft shed burglary
- 10 Man caught with indecent images of children as young as two to be sentenced
Meanwhile, last Saturday, May 6, the Barchester Healthcare home staged its annual balloon release to remember past residents.
A service held by celebrant Lorraine Sartain, of Whispering Words of Wisdom, was attended by relatives of residents who have passed away as well as current residents and their families.