Sponsored walk raises vital cash for church
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Gunton Baptist Church's minister, the Rev June Love, successfully completed her 26-mile sponsored walk from Norwich to Lowestoft.
Helping to raise money for the Montgomery Avenue Church's extension, Rev Love was accompanied by a 10-person team including members from Dreamworx, Gunton Signpost, Nordic walking coach Sally Ann Protheroe and fellow church members as she set off from Norwich just after 7am on Saturday, September 5 before reaching the baptist church just before 6pm that evening.
Limping the last few miles into Lowestoft, only one participant was unable to make the complete journey.
'It was sheer determination. The sense of failure kept me going,' said the extremely exhausted but triumphant minister over a steaming cup of tea following the group's return to the church in Montgomery Avenue.
'The team spirit was fantastic,' she added.
You may also want to watch:
The walk had been organised as part of the church's extensive fund-raising programme to enable it to build a disabled entrance to the church and expand facilities to the successful Hub Café.
Already more than £50,000 in grants and fund-raising has been raised, with £12,000 still needed for the church to achieve its goal. More charity events are planned, with a charity fund-raising auction at the church in aid of the disabled access this Saturday (September 19) starting at 6pm.
- 1 New £9m school building opened by children's commissioner
- 2 Confiscation hearing adjourned for North sea jet ski drug smugglers
- 3 Popular Lowestoft restaurant revealed as English curry award finalist
- 4 Academy in Lowestoft receives Ofsted praise for 'effective action'
- 5 Mum of four set to return to the stage in Lowestoft - after a decade away
- 6 East Suffolk's coronavirus case rate increases, but rates still half England's average
- 7 Thieves steal moped from driveway of home in south Lowestoft
- 8 Woman who was found with maggots living in hand evicted from care home
- 9 Is Lowestoft becoming 'party central' of the east coast?
- 10 Plans for ex-restaurant to become pub revealed as licence granted