St Mark's Wives Group, Oulton Broad

Fifty members of St Mark's Wives Group met in the Church Centre on September 7 when they were welcomed back by leader, Margaret Jones, who introduced the speaker, Len Butcher of Pakefield Coast Watch.

Fifty members of St Mark's Wives Group met in the Church Centre on September 7 when they were welcomed back by leader, Margaret Jones, who introduced the speaker, Len Butcher of Pakefield Coast Watch. He said Pakefield Lighthouse is known as the forgotten lighthouse. It was built in 1831 at a cost of �821.9s 4d and was opened in 1832 and closed in 1864. During the war it was used by the Royal Observer Corps and the site was bought by Pontins after the war. The Coast Watch was started in 1999 and is manned by volunteers. It cost �8,000 to renovate the building and a further �5,000 has been spent on up-to-date equipment. Currently there are 30 volunteers and 10 in training, who man it every day of the year including Christmas Day. He was thanked for his talk by Pat Prentice.

The next meeting is on September 21 when Marie Cherry, the transplant co-ordinator, will be the speaker.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter