Staff and students from Ormiston Denes Academy shine in Lowestoft Scores Race
- Credit: Archant
A Lowestoft high school is celebrating a top double after entering a popular annual event.
More than 20 staff and students at Ormiston Denes Academy took part in the Lowestoft Scores Race on Sunday – after principal Ben Driver had set staff a challenge on the final day of Summer term.
A school spokesman said: 'Staff that took on the challenge had the school holidays to train for the event. In total 22 runners participated all wearing the lime green T-shirts.'
For the vast majority it was their first 'organised race' with several hoping to finish the course. Top runner, assistant principal Philip Dougherty set a good pace for the men, with Claire Wilkinson doing likewise for the female team.
All 22 members finished the race and cheered one another on at the finish.
You may also want to watch:
Team captain Stuart Aldous, assistant principal at the academy in Yarmouth Road, said: 'The support from our pupils, parents, family members, marshals and our community was astonishing, it really kept us going.'
On completion of the race several members of the team went to the final presentation, where they received praise in the closing speech for their enthusiasm and numbers in the team – the biggest non affiliated running club team of the day.
- 1 'New lease of life' - Pubs ready after £35,000 investment
- 2 Man admits crashing into five cars and a level crossing
- 3 'The buzz is great' - Market stall owners take reins at town pub
- 4 Road to be closed and traffic diverted for overnight works
- 5 RNLI called out to rescue 'soggy doggy'
- 6 CCTV shows moment father who died was restrained by Pontins security staff
- 7 Empty town centre shop sells at auction
- 8 Queen writes to Lily, 5, in reply to condolences card
- 9 'Dangerous' neck restraint led to death of Pontins guest, inquest finds
- 10 Search continues for Beccles man missing for five days
To a great cheer the Ormiston Denes team picked up the ladies team and the mixed team shields.
Principal Ben Driver, delighted with the Ormiston Denes team's effort, said: 'All of our competitors, including myself, had a fantastic time and several staff and students are feeling rightly proud of themselves'.
The academy would like to thank race organiser Tim Earl and the officials and marshals of Waveney Valley Athletics Club for leading such an excellent event.