Search

Striker's contract terminated by K&P

PUBLISHED: 10:04 03 October 2008 | UPDATED: 21:24 05 July 2010

THE man at the centre of an alleged assault on a football referee has been told he will "never, ever" play for Kirkley and Pakefield FC again.

Police and FA investigations were continuing this week, after striker Lee Gilman shocked his club and allegedly struck the referee after being given a red card for disputing a throw-in.

THE man at the centre of an alleged assault on a football referee has been told he will “never, ever” play for Kirkley and Pakefield FC again.

Police and FA investigations were continuing this week, after striker Lee Gilman shocked his club and allegedly struck the referee after being given a red card for disputing a throw-in.

The reaction of Gilman - a former Norwich City trainee - came 39-minutes into K&P's away clash with Harwich and Parkeston on Saturday.

The incident happened just after Harwich had made it 1-1, but referee Adam Crysell, from Braintree, abandoned the Ridgeons League Premier Division match and police were believed to have been called to the game.

Having only signed for K&P from Wroxham in pre-season, 27-year-old Gilman had scored 70 goals in 130 games for the Trafford Park club. He had started well for his new club and been a regular on the scoresheet.

But all that changed, dramatically at the weekend.

“Never, ever will he play for us again,” adult football development manager Harry Goldspink told The Journal

“There was nothing in the game up until his reaction. Since then the other players and club officials have been praised for the exemplary manner they handled the situation and as we liaise with the FA we have informed them that we will be terminating his contract. We don't condone anything like this at our community club.”

Manager Nick Shorten spoke to the other players this week and reminded them of the code of conduct they had all agreed to at the start of the season

“The incident has left everyone at the club in shock and it has made us all focus very hard on making sure that an incident like this can never happen again,” Shorten said. “As the principal team in a Community Charter Standard Club we have a responsibility to conduct ourselves in a manner that demonstrates and sets a standard for all other teams to follow.

“The incident was totally outside of this standard and our code. The ultimate fate of the player will now be in the hands of the FA, however, we have moved ahead of this by immediately suspending him from football and informing him and the FA of our absolute intention to terminate his contract. He will clearly never represent our club again.”

Essex police confirmed that an investigation was ongoing, while Ridgeons League secretary and treasurer Nigel Spurling said: “We will be considering what we do in due course, we don't rush into these situations.”

Martin Head, chief executive of Suffolk FA, is now overseeing an investigation into the incident.

“This was a totally deplorable incident,” he said. “We have the powers to suspend the player immediately but we have to have a hearing within 28 days, and Lee Gilman will be invited to this hearing to put his side across.”

For more of Nick Shorten's views, turn to his exclusive Shorten Brief column on page 78 of this week's Journal.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Lowestoft Journal

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists