Students support Movember campaign in Lowestoft
- Credit: Archant
A number of institutions across our area took part in the Movember campaign to raise money for men's health charities.
Ormiston Denes Academy allowed students to purchase moustaches which they were permitted to wear in school. A cake sale was also held followed by a student karaoke session at lunchtime.
The main event came in the form of a 'shave-off' on the main stage where students paid a small entrance fee to watch teachers Darren Steel and Philip Dougherty have their moustaches removed in the traditional way,
The shaves were carried out by Haydn, Ross and Oscar from The Gentlemen's Club in Rotterdam Road.
Julie Mayo, projects manager at the school, said: 'We are very grateful to Haydn, Ross and Oscar who gave up time on their only day off to come in to carry out the shaving.
You may also want to watch:
'It was great to see professionals at work and to ensure that our staff ended up with a first class shave.'
The academy raised about £100 with all proceeds going directly to the Movember UK charity.
- 1 Pub ordered to pay £23.5k compensation to sacked disabled worker
- 2 Friends launch fantasy horse racing site to combat problem gambling
- 3 Relief for kittiwakes as controversial netting removed
- 4 Lowestoft man badly hurt after being attacked by gang in his own home
- 5 Man released from hospital after being stabbed in Lowestoft
- 6 Have your say on plans for 150 homes at former hospital site
- 7 Pakefield Man set for summer showcase
- 8 Green light for new shop's alcohol bid
- 9 Lockdown easing to go ahead - but Hancock won't rule out reversal
- 10 Diversions in place with stretch of A12 to be closed overnight
Over at the James Paget University Hospital, the finance management and catering teams have been sporting some impressive facial hair and raised £500 in the process.
Other Movember participants from around the hospital were invited to a special judging event, with Rob Watson named as Man of Movember.
And charity fund-raiser Mike Willgoss hailed the 'brilliant response from local people' as he raised nearly £300 during the month of November, with his overall total now standing at over £64,000 for worthwhile causes.
Are you raising money for charity in Lowestoft? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org