Sue Cook set to replace Deborah Cadman OBE as temporary chief executive of Suffolk County Council
- Credit: Archant
Suffolk County Council's corporate director of health, wellbeing and children's services is set to replace Deborah Cadman OBE as the authority's interim chief executive.
Sue Cook will provide 'strong leadership, continuity and stability', a Suffolk County Council (SCC) report states.
The staff appointments committee report also reveals Mrs Cadman's £170,000-a-year permanent replacement will have to oversee savings worth £55.5m over a three-year period.
The impact of inflation and increasing demand for services, set against council tax and business rates income, is a factor behind the forecast cumulative budget gap from 2018 to 2021, a separate SCC report shows.
Savings will have to be made across all SCC services, it is understood.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Cook's proposed new role as interim chief executive would start this September and last around three months.
It was announced last month that Mrs Cadman, who joined SCC in 2011, was leaving to become the first permanent chief executive of the West Midlands Combined Authority. She is set to play a key role in turning into reality the region's devolution deal with central government.
- 1 Academy in Lowestoft receives Ofsted praise for 'effective action'
- 2 Mum of four set to return to the stage in Lowestoft - after a decade away
- 3 Popular Lowestoft restaurant revealed as English curry award finalist
- 4 Thieves steal moped from driveway of home in south Lowestoft
- 5 Is Lowestoft becoming 'party central' of the east coast?
- 6 Woman who was found with maggots living in hand evicted from care home
- 7 East Suffolk's coronavirus case rate increases, but rates still half England's average
- 8 New £9m school building opened by children's commissioner
- 9 Inquest date set for Gorleston woman found on beach
- 10 Plans for ex-restaurant to become pub revealed as licence granted
The staff appointments committee report proposes that Mrs Cook, SCC's corporate director of health, wellbeing and children's services, is appointed as chief executive and head of paid service on a temporary basis pending the permanent appointment.
The report states: 'This is expected to be for approximately three months starting in September 2017. Any extension is delegated to the Head of HR in consultation with the Leader of the Council.'
It adds: 'There are no proposals to amend the salary for the role which currently stands at £170,000 as a spot salary.
'Interim arrangements are needed to ensure the role of Head of Paid Service is fulfilled. The temporary appointment of Sue Cook, corporate director health, wellbeing and children's services, will provide strong leadership, continuity and stability for the organisation. Recruitment costs for the interim position will be avoided.'
A decision is expected to be made at the meeting on July 13.
Mrs Cook, who worked at Essex County Council for 15 years, joined SCC in 2013.