Suffolk campaigns for Olympic torch
A CAMPAIGN has been launched to persuade London 2012 chiefs to bring the Olympic torch to Suffolk as part of the traditional build up to the Games.Preparations for the event are in full swing and those in charge will soon select an official to plan a suggested route for the iconic flame once it reaches UK shores in three years time.
A CAMPAIGN has been launched to persuade London 2012 chiefs to bring the Olympic torch to Suffolk as part of the traditional build up to the Games.
Preparations for the event are in full swing and those in charge will soon select an official to plan a suggested route for the iconic flame once it reaches UK shores in three years time.
The Games could generate nearly �70million for the Suffolk economy and securing a leg of the relay would be a major coup - benefiting businesses, tourism, sport and culture throughout the local community.
The project is being run by Suffolk County Council and Monday saw the launch of Bring the Torch to Suffolk - a campaign to promote the county in a bid to ensure it is on the list of places to visit before the Olympic and Paralympic flame is taken to the opening ceremony.
Over the next 12 months and beyond it is hoped members of the public - along with high profile community leaders - will back the campaign and suggest even more reasons as to why they think the county deserves a visit from the torch.
Adam Baker, Suffolk project manager for 2012 at the county council, said: 'It is a very exciting opportunity because if the flame does come to Suffolk we will be part of Olympic history. To do that it's vital we are ready to demonstrate exactly why the torch should visit the county and where it should go.'
- 1 Pub gets dozens of calls asking - 'Do you know there's a dog on your roof?'
- 2 Best friends take over popular café in 'just heavenly' setting
- 3 Wooden fence panels stolen from front garden of home
- 4 Mystery of container ships at anchor off Suffolk coast solved
- 5 VW Golf seized and BMW driver warned over loud exhaust in Lowestoft
- 6 Banksy mural created to spark debate after town's artwork was sold
- 7 Father-of-four gets driving ban after night out in resort
- 8 Who put them up there? The mystery of the Lowestoft scarecrows
- 9 'A first for Lowestoft': Joy as new outdoor fitness equipment unveiled
- 10 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK