Suffolk Family History Society
Due to the illness of the scheduled speaker, Pip Wright, the advertised talk could not go ahead. The club was fortunate to obtain the services of the noted historian Derek Palgrave who presented a talk on the origin and development of surnames.
Due to the illness of the scheduled speaker, Pip Wright, the advertised talk could not go ahead. The club was fortunate to obtain the services of the noted historian Derek Palgrave who presented a talk on the origin and development of surnames. Derek's talk explained that surnames derived from a number of sources; location; trade; status; and even physical disability. He also explained because of the low literacy level obtaining at the time and as a name could only be conveyed to the scribe phonetically; many variations of a surname were recorded.
The next meeting will be held on Tuesday, July 7, which will be a research evening. Doors are open at 7pm enabling members (and non-members) to browse the extensive library of CDs, books and publications available. If you are researching your Suffolk family connections why not join us? Non-members will find a friendly welcome and help is always available.
The Society meets on the first Tuesday of each month and has a programme of interesting speakers scheduled for the year. Non-members fee is �1.50.
For further information please contact the secretary Beryl Capps 01502 562584. or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
You may also want to watch:
- 1 'Awe-inspiring' progress on £126.75m Gull Wing third crossing
- 2 'Forever an Olympian': Charley Davison bows out at Tokyo games
- 3 Woman in 30s suffers head injuries in violent attack by two girls
- 4 Man airlifted to hospital from popular beach given 'vital first aid' by lifeguards
- 5 'You are our champion': Community praise for Olympian Charley Davison
- 6 Man to be sentenced for drugs charges told jail is 'almost inevitable'
- 7 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 8 McDonalds volunteers remove 20 wheelbarrow loads of algae from town's park
- 9 Olympic quest continues for Lowestoft's GB boxing star Charley Davison
- 10 Lowestoft boxer Charley Davison’s Olympic medal chase - how it could unfold