Fire breaks out at retirement housing block
- Credit: Google Maps
Firefighters were pressed into action today after a blaze at a block of retirement housing in Lowestoft.
Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service were called at 11.35am this morning following reports of smoke in a corridor at Fiske Gardens, a Hanover Housing-owned block of flats situated on Holton Avenue and used predominantly by retired residents.
Three vehicles were subsequently despatched, whilst Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service mobilised two vehicles. Suffolk Police were also called at 11.50am.
Upon arrival at the scene, firefighters found a fire in one of the flats and extinguished the blaze using two hosereel jets and breathing apparatus.
They ensured that the building was evacuated and all persons were accounted for as of 12.38pm. One person was treated for smoke inhalation and checked over by paramedics.
You may also want to watch:
None of the surrounding buildings were affected by the fire.
The circumstances surrounding the blaze are not thought to be suspicious at this time and investigations into the cause will be carried out in due course.
- 1 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 2 Popular Southwold fish and chip shop for sale for £850k
- 3 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 4 Suffolk-built boats relive glory days on Oulton Broad
- 5 Iconic hospital likely to be sold to private developer
- 6 Chemical Brothers review: Sensory overload stuns Latitude crowd
- 7 Latitude Festival 2021: Supergrass kicks off sunny second day
- 8 'The vibe is good' - Return to normality on first day of Latitude Festival
- 9 Joy and relief as Latitude passes off successfully
- 10 Bouncing back: The perfect place in Lowestoft for a sunny day out
The incident was brought under control by 1.35pm.