Fire breaks out at retirement housing block
- Credit: Google Maps
Firefighters were pressed into action today after a blaze at a block of retirement housing in Lowestoft.
Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service were called at 11.35am this morning following reports of smoke in a corridor at Fiske Gardens, a Hanover Housing-owned block of flats situated on Holton Avenue and used predominantly by retired residents.
Three vehicles were subsequently despatched, whilst Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service mobilised two vehicles. Suffolk Police were also called at 11.50am.
Upon arrival at the scene, firefighters found a fire in one of the flats and extinguished the blaze using two hosereel jets and breathing apparatus.
They ensured that the building was evacuated and all persons were accounted for as of 12.38pm. One person was treated for smoke inhalation and checked over by paramedics.
You may also want to watch:
None of the surrounding buildings were affected by the fire.
The circumstances surrounding the blaze are not thought to be suspicious at this time and investigations into the cause will be carried out in due course.
- 1 First look at Lowestoft's newest late night venue - part of £150k investment
- 2 Popular family business opens new shop in Lowestoft town centre
- 3 Teens arrested in connection with burglaries and arson at Lowestoft schools
- 4 Man and woman accused of supplying cannabis and money laundering
- 5 New shop set to open in Lowestoft town centre
- 6 New Tesco store to open in coastal town centre
- 7 'Inspirational' Olympian Charley honoured during visit to former school
- 8 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 9 Former butchers shop in Lowestoft is sold at auction
- 10 'Together again': Swans reunited after dog attack in Lowestoft park
The incident was brought under control by 1.35pm.