Fire breaks out at retirement housing block
- Credit: Google Maps
Firefighters were pressed into action today after a blaze at a block of retirement housing in Lowestoft.
Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service were called at 11.35am this morning following reports of smoke in a corridor at Fiske Gardens, a Hanover Housing-owned block of flats situated on Holton Avenue and used predominantly by retired residents.
Three vehicles were subsequently despatched, whilst Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service mobilised two vehicles. Suffolk Police were also called at 11.50am.
Upon arrival at the scene, firefighters found a fire in one of the flats and extinguished the blaze using two hosereel jets and breathing apparatus.
They ensured that the building was evacuated and all persons were accounted for as of 12.38pm. One person was treated for smoke inhalation and checked over by paramedics.
You may also want to watch:
None of the surrounding buildings were affected by the fire.
The circumstances surrounding the blaze are not thought to be suspicious at this time and investigations into the cause will be carried out in due course.
- 1 Driver arrested on suspicion of drink driving after crash in Lowestoft
- 2 Local elections 2021: Green gains and Conservative majority in east Suffolk
- 3 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 4 Man who set up cannabis farm warned he will be jailed
- 5 New owners of popular park café set out vision for 'beautiful' venue
- 6 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 7 Campervan ban lifted in 12 car parks by the coast
- 8 'Absolutely amazing' - Visually impaired teen completes walking challenge
- 9 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 10 Man, 22, charged over stabbing as victim remains 'critical'
The incident was brought under control by 1.35pm.