Suspected unexploded bomb at Westleton
Bomb disposal experts were called in after a suspected unexploded cannonball was uncovered in a Suffolk village.
The discovery was made yesterday afternoon at a house in Westleton, near Leiston, when a woman was digging in flower beds at the front of her home.
She promptly called the police, who sent officers tot he scene and contacted bomb disposal experts.
Residents were asked to stay in their homes until the drama was over.
At about 6pm the bomb disposal team arrived and removed the item for tests and residents were thanked for their cooperation.
You may also want to watch:
A police spokesman said: 'The bomb disposal service arrived at 6pm this evening and the device has been taken away.
'It looks like either an old mortar or a cannonball. We'd like to thank people for cooperating.'
- 1 Man arrested after police find 200 cannabis plants in building
- 2 Man who assaulted young girl has sex offences prevention order lifted
- 3 New convenience store earmarked for former Boots pharmacy
- 4 Town's Post Office branch to reopen
- 5 Empty town centre store sells ahead of auction
- 6 Tributes to high street mechanic known as a 'local legend'
- 7 Plea to identify woman after staffie attacks three dogs in Kessingland
- 8 Man, 22, charged over stabbing as victim remains 'critical'
- 9 Heartbreak as netting traps and entangles endangered bird species
- 10 What's opening in Waveney from May 17?