Swan is on song as a keen photographer from Reydon lands double success
- Credit: Archant
TOP DOUBLE: A trip to a popular nature reserve in Essex has landed a keen amateur photographer from Reydon with a special prize.
A recent trip to the Hanningfield Reservoir in Essex led to this stunning photo of a male mute swan – and it has produced another winner for Mike Bird.
And after being selected as the winner of our popular Picture of the Week contest for a second time, it proved to be a top double as Mr Bird's success has come in the week of his birthday.
Mr Bird, of Dove Road, Reydon, said it was 'great news' to have been chosen as the winner.
'The shot was taken towards the end of last month at the 870-acre reserve run by the Essex Wildlife Trust in conjunction with Essex and Suffolk Water. The reservoir and reserve is also a designated Site of Special Scientific Interest.
You may also want to watch:
'I grew up nearby in Wickford, Essex, so know the reserve quite well,' he admitted.
This image was taken at the fishing lodge at the back of the reserve, with the photo of the Cob swan taken with Mr Bird's Nikon D200 digital camera.
- 1 Pub ordered to pay £23.5k compensation to sacked disabled worker
- 2 Friends launch fantasy horse racing site to combat problem gambling
- 3 Relief for kittiwakes as controversial netting removed
- 4 Lowestoft man badly hurt after being attacked by gang in his own home
- 5 Man released from hospital after being stabbed in Lowestoft
- 6 Pakefield Man set for summer showcase
- 7 Have your say on plans for 150 homes at former hospital site
- 8 Green light for new shop's alcohol bid
- 9 Lockdown easing to go ahead - but Hancock won't rule out reversal
- 10 Diversions in place with stretch of A12 to be closed overnight
As our winner, Mr Bird receives a 12in x 10in framed version of his photo, worth more than £60, from Picture Studios, of London Road North, Lowestoft.
By progressing to our next six-monthly winners' final, he is also in with a shout of winning the top prize – a 12in x 18in photo block, worth £130. Entries can be of any subject, but they must be by amateur photographers and we prefer digital images. We also accept prints but we cannot guarantee their return.
Email us your pictures, along with your details and daytime phone number (and mobile number too if possible) to: firstname.lastname@example.org putting Picture of the Week in the subject box.