Teams encouraged to sign up for Lowestoft pancake race
- Credit: Nick Butcher
It is one of the more light-hearted events to feature in the town - but on the 'flip' side, competitive teams are already signing up for the annual Lowestoft pancake day race.
This year's competition will start at noon on Tuesday, February 17 outside Beales department store, in London Road North.
Event organisers Lowestoft Vision are encouraging companies and clubs to come forward and enter the fun and friendly relay race.
The 2014 event was one of the most successful in recent history, with a record number of teams entering and many spectators cheering on the competitors.
With this year's event taking place in half-term, Lowestoft Vision is hopeful of attracting additional teams and spectators.
You may also want to watch:
Iceland, who have won the race for the past three years, have already confirmed their entry as they look to maintain their winning streak.
Last year also welcomed the first pancake day mascot race, which will again feature. New for this year is the addition of wearing a chef's hat, as well as an award for the best flipping technique.
- 1 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 2 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 3 New owners of popular park café set out vision for 'beautiful' venue
- 4 Heartbreak as netting traps and entangles endangered bird species
- 5 Cornish man in search for long lost Lowestoft relatives
- 6 Tributes to high street mechanic known as a 'local legend'
- 7 Man arrested after police find 200 cannabis plants in building
- 8 New convenience store earmarked for former Boots pharmacy
- 9 Town's Post Office branch to reopen
- 10 Man, 22, charged over stabbing as victim remains 'critical'
The event involves teams of three taking part in a relay race, whilst tossing pancakes along the route. The contest is broken down into heats, followed by semi-finals and a final.
Each team member must complete the circuit by flipping the pancake three times along each section of the course.
Darren Newman, Lowestoft Vision Business Improvement District (BID) manager, said: 'The pancake day race has been on the Lowestoft events calendar for many years and has always been a really fun event. We would like to welcome as many local businesses, clubs and organisations to enter.
'The event is always light-hearted and fun but it is interesting to see how competitive teams become on the day, which makes viewing very entertaining.'
For further information on the pancake day race and to enter a team, contact Jason Cookson on 01502 502205 or email email@example.com
Are you organising a community event? Tell The Journal by calling 01502 525825 or email firstname.lastname@example.org