More teams sign up for annual dragon boat festival
- Credit: Sonya Duncan
The East Anglian Dragon Boat Festival is fast approaching and more than 20 teams from across the region have signed up to compete.
The event will take place at Oulton Broad on Saturday, August 11, with the latest entrant, ScottishPower Renewables, preparing to paddle.
Matthew Wooltorton, project execution manager at ScottishPower Renewables, said: 'We have heard so much about the vibrancy and popularity of the dragon boat festival and were keen to be a part of an event that brings local people together and creates a real sense of community spirit. As the home of our East Anglia ONE windfarm will be Lowestoft, taking part in the dragon boat challenge is a perfect opportunity to further engage with the community, who have been so welcoming to us since we began working in the region.'
Mr Wooltorton's team will bring together ScottishPower Renewables staff working on East Anglia ONE with their contractors for a day which he anticipates will be full of team spirit and comradery. The team will be supporting their nominated charity, the Lowestoft RNLI.
Mr Wooltorton said: 'As a lot of our work involves travelling offshore we are more than aware of the dangers of the sea and the importance of the work carried out by the Lowestoft RNLI Lifeboat. They are a perfect charity for us to support.'
You may also want to watch:
Sponsorship raised by the crew will supplement the £750 donation from the company's gold entry.
The teams entered to date represent a variety of different industries from all corners of East Anglia and also include crews from Gunton Hall and Corton Coastal Resorts representing the festival sponsor, Warner Leisure Hotels, who will be fundraising for their partner charity Macmillan Cancer Support.
- 1 Road to be closed and traffic diverted for a week
- 2 'A redevelopment opportunity' - Empty town centre shop and maisonette set for auction
- 3 'Innovative' new street light sparks interest on the coast
- 4 Closing coastal footbridge will have 'devastating' impact, pub owner says
- 5 'We can't wait' - Boutique owners prepare for April 12 re-opening
- 6 Pub and restaurant group 'looking forward' to re-opening popular venues
- 7 Lowestoft mother spared jail after admitting cruelty to one-year-old son
- 8 University joy for Lowestoft Sixth Form students
- 9 Investigations continuing after drugs seized during police raid
- 10 Suspected drink driver charged after police dog tracks down man hiding in a ditch
The dragon boats, qualified helms and all racing equipment are provided and each crew is guaranteed a minimum of three races. No previous experience is required, just plenty of team spirit and enthusiasm. Medals and trophies are up for grabs for the top three crews, top mixed crew, 'best dressed' crew and charity champions.
The festival is supported by Lowestoft Journal and, as well as the dragon boat racing, teams and spectators will be able to enjoy a variety of bankside entertainment.
To enter a team call Gable Events on 01780 470718 or visit www.dragonboatfestivals.co.uk/eastanglia