Still time for businesses to join in and battle it out at popular festival
- Credit: Sonya Duncan
Businesses, clubs and organisations are being encouraged to get their teams together for one of the region's most colourful festivals.
With the eagerly anticipated East Anglian Dragon Boat Festival returning to Oulton Broad in three months time, entry numbers are continuing to build for the popular event.
This year's dragon boat festival, supported by The Journal, is an open charity event with entrants invited to raise money for the charity of their choosing.
And staff from two popular leisure resorts in Lowestoft are set to renew friendly rivalries once more as Gunton Hall and Corton Coastal Village battle it out. With the festival returning to Nicholas Everitt Park in Oulton Broad on Saturday, August 11 the competition looks set to be hotter than ever this year with owners Warner Leisure Hotels as race sponsor.
While both crews are looking forward to this fantastic team building event and the chance to raise important funds for their nominated charity, Macmillan Cancer Support, the crew managers from each team admitted that victory over the other holiday park would make the day even more special.
You may also want to watch:
This will be Gunton Hall's fourth year at the event and Corton's third – with honours even so far in the head to heads.
Corton's general manager, Fern Chapman, said: 'Our team is gearing up for what I'm sure will be another fantastic event. Gunton Hall narrowly pipped us to the post in the third heat last year, so we're certainly looking to redress the balance this time around.'
- 1 Bridge to close with traffic diverted for 'routine' maintenance
- 2 Person rescued after blaze in first floor flat
- 3 Air ambulance responds after man suffers fall in Lowestoft
- 4 Man charged over screwdriver robbery of teen
- 5 First Light Festival adds more events to Days of Summer programme
- 6 Couple who first met at hotel celebrate six decades of marriage
- 7 Police appeal for help tracing wanted Suffolk man
- 8 Investigation closed against man who exposed himself in cemetery
- 9 Driver swore at driver he crashed into before speeding off
- 10 15ft-wide abnormal load on A47 this weekend
Gunton's general manager and crew captain, Joe Bullock, added: 'The Dragon Boat Festival is one that the Gunton Hall team has come to look forward to each year, and we can't wait to reignite the friendly rivalry between our friends over at Corton. It was a very close race last year and we're expecting the same level of anticipation in this year's race.'
To take part in the dragon boat racing, no previous experience is required, just plenty of team spirit and enthusiasm. The dragon boats, qualified helms and all racing equipment are provided with each crew guaranteed a minimum of three races.
For more details and an entry form visit www.dragonboatfestivals.co.uk/eastanglia or call Gable Events on 01780 470718.