Ten things to do this bank holiday weekend in Waveney
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2015
There is plenty on offer for families across the bank holiday weekend in Waveney. Here are 10 things happening to get you out and about.
1. GritFest is a new celebration of a historic beach community. On Sunday, May 27, free family activities will take over Sparrows Nest Gardens in Lowestoft from 10.30am to 4pm.
2. Beccles town centre is set to be transformed as the Beccles Food and Drink Festival 2018 returns for another gastronomic extravaganza. The free event, which runs from 10am till 4pm on Saturday, May 26.
3. A tribute to an iconic female artiste is featured in this week's line-up at the Marina Theatre in Lowestoft.
The magical voice and star quality of Dusty Springfield will be celebrated at the Saturday, May 26 musical extravaganza at 7.30pm.
You may also want to watch:
4. Saturday, May 26 at 2pm, Tigerlilys Productions present their popular family show Once Upon a Fairy Tale. Come along dressed for the occasion and ready to participate as this wonderful group perform some of the best loved classic songs from your favourite films. Tickets for Once Upon a Fairy Tale cost £4 and £6.
5. Informal trad jazz session with The Footwarmers between 12pm and 3pm to accompany your Sunday, May 27 lunchtime visit to the Conservative Club in Beccles with burgers & hotdogs on sale.
- 1 Police concerned for welfare of missing 14-year-old girl
- 2 Lowestoft man's role in some of the biggest live events of 2021
- 3 Tributes to man, 31, who died on Christmas Day
- 4 Tributes to 'much loved' council worker as dustcart leads funeral cortège
- 5 Man suffers potentially life-threatening injuries in A145 collision
- 6 'Do not click on the link': Warning over 'NHS scam' vaccine email
- 7 Waits for second Covid jabs on target in our region
- 8 Town centre business owner's pledge amid latest lockdown closure
- 9 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 10 Former Brexit Party MP hopeful dies in Bahamas diving accident
6. Halesworth Airfield Memorial Museum will be open on Sunday, May 27. It includes airfield memorabilia from the Second World War, combat records, library, research room, photographs, refreshments and shop, admission free between 2pm and 5pm.
7. At Wrentham Village Hall there will be a film night showing Swallows and Amazons on Saturday, May 26. The 2016 film based on Arthur Ransome's children's novel stars Andrew Scott, Rafe Spall, Jessica Hynes and Harry Enfield. Doors open 7pm, film screens 7.30pm. Refreshments are included.
8. The Excelsior will be open for tours at Lowestoft's Heritage Quay between Saturday, May 26 and Monday, May 28, from 9am. Tour the ship, support their work they do and find out when you can sail with them. Knot tying workshops and chances to climb the rigging throughout the day.
9. Join the Ropeworks as they take you through a journey from the 1920s to present day. Hosted by DJ Plodomonus Prime, it will bring you all the best hits to celebrate your Bank Holiday, starting at 8pm on Saturday, May 26.
10. That Good Night is a fond farewell to a much loved legend, starring John Hurt in his final leading role. Set in the stunning hilltops of the Algarve coastline of Portugal, this life affirming drama is based on the stage play by NJ Crisp and is inspired by the poem by Dylan Thomas. The film will be shown at the Marina Theatre at 2.30pm and 7.30pm on Monday, May 28.