Mother dedicates debut novel to memory of daughter who died aged 13
- Credit: Archant
A mother has dedicated her debut novel to the memory of her daughter, who died in a car crash on her way to school.
Terri Wyatt, from Corton, took an early retirement from her job as a bank manager to write 'The Baptist Gospel', a crime thriller that sees a priest make a shocking discovery about the origins of Christianity.
Mrs Wyatt's daughter, Abbi-Lee Sherratt, died in 2001 at the age of 13 following a collision on her way to the former Great Yarmouth High School.
The sudden loss of Abbi led to Mrs Wyatt falling out of love with reading, before a recommendation from a friend not only led to her rediscovering her passion, but also contemplating penning a book of her own.
'Losing Abbi changed my life completely,' said Mrs Wyatt. 'I always used to be a big reader but then I suddenly had no interest at all.
You may also want to watch:
'A friend of mine recommended that I read The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown and I loved it. From that moment I started reading more and more crime thrillers and thought 'that's exactly the type of book I'd like to write.'
'I didn't have much writing experience but they say everyone has a book in them. Although I'm not sure how true it is, I took an early retirement at the end of the 2014 and set about doing my research.'
- 1 Five new businesses to discover in Lowestoft as lockdown eases
- 2 Sergeant reveals what's in store for new TV show with Suffolk police team
- 3 Police thank public after tracing Lowestoft woman
- 4 Smokehouse to be showcased on BBC One’s Antiques Road Trip
- 5 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 6 7 outdoor events happening in Norfolk and Waveney this weekend
- 7 Air ambulance called after man and woman suffer medical emergencies
- 8 Boy attacked by man in woodland in Lowestoft
- 9 Lowestoft mother spared jail after admitting cruelty to one-year-old son
- 10 'Lucky number seven' - Landlord opens 'flagship' pub in hometown
Three-and-a-half years and 150,000 words later, Mrs Wyatt finally completed her novel two months ago after an extensive process of thorough research to ensure the accuracy of its historical and biblical references.
Set in various locations and during different historical periods, the book has been independently published by its author and is now available for readers to buy from Amazon.
Mrs Wyatt describes her debut effort as 'Val McDermid meets Dan Brown' and has been delighted with the feedback she has received so far for her venture into uncharted territory.
'It's been great to get some really positive reviews, especially as it's so difficult for new writers to get any publicity without the backing of a publisher.
'Abbi's death is something that changed my life and I really do think she was with me on the journey of writing this book.'
The Baptist Gospel is available to purchase at amazon.co.uk/Baptist-Gospel-Terri-Wyatt/dp/198291596X.