Landlady defends one star hygiene rated pub which had dog behind the bar
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A landlady in Lowestoft has defended her pub after it was given the second lowest food hygiene rating possible after a dog was spotted by inspectors behind the bar.
Sue Willgoss, who runs The Carlton on London Road South, said the pub was much cleaner than before she started to run it in August 2016.
She also said at the time the pub only served reheated frozen pies to customers with the kitchen only including a microwave and a sink for staff use.
She said: 'We were told in an inspection in March last year that the dog was not allowed in food preparation areas but was allowed behind the bar, but this time we were told he is not allowed behind the bar which he now isn't.
'The kitchen is not a kitchen. We have a microwave with sinks but it is not actually a kitchen.'
You may also want to watch:
She added: 'When I walked in here the place was a mess and it is so much cleaner than that now and it seemed he [the inspector] was on a mission.
'I am not sure it is all it is cracked up to be. We took over after the serious assault here and since then it has been really positive and it is really a thriving pub now.'
- 1 Covid infection rate in Ipswich continues to fall below England average
- 2 Acting headteacher thrilled as school delivers community help
- 3 Projects to restore axed rail routes get £794m boost
- 4 WATCH: Therese Coffey 'walks out' of Piers Morgan interview on GMB
- 5 New outdoor theatre hopes to bring post lockdown performances to the woods
- 6 Son's concern as Covid hospital patient, 85, moved seven times in two weeks
- 7 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 8 A life in agony: 27-year-old's daily torture battling constant pain
- 9 'No black hole' - MP reveals two new vaccine centres in towns
- 10 Pressure grows for fixed date for schools to re-open
The Carlton was given the rating after an inspection on November 9 last year, a freedom of information request revealed.
The official hygiene report said: 'On arrival at the premises a large dog was roaming freely behind the main bar. I observed the dog's tail touching the glasses.
'To prevent the cross contamination of harmful bacteria you must keep the dog away from behind the bar, particularly as you also cook in this area.'
Snooker cues, a dirty leaf blower, a drill and a grinder were also found in the kitchen.
The inspection also discovered raw fish being stored in the fridge for a customer next to ready-to-eat food.
A rating of one meant major improvement was necessary, with a reinspection needing to be paid for before the next scheduled inspection.