The Magic of Christmas is set to return to Pakefield
- Credit: Archant
A Christmas tree in the heart of a community will be the focus of festive celebrations as people mark the start of yuletide.
The fun begins at 4pm next Thursday, November 30 when the lights will be switched on at the tree located at Pakefield Terminus.
Decorated with baubles made by the early years' children at Pakefield Primary School, the tree will be the centrepiece for carols, festive songs and music to celebrate the 'magic of Christmas'.
No lights switch-on would be complete without a visit from Santa; and he will be found in his workshop in the car park of The Tramway Hotel where he will be surrounded by stalls offering mulled wine, roast chestnuts, mince pies and seasonal games.
It comes after a community project helped to raise funds for purchasing and illuminating a Christmas tree for the centre of Pakefield.
You may also want to watch:
With a Christmas tree being sadly absent last year, a group was set up and money was raised at a series of fundraising events.
A spokesman for Pakefield Community Action said: 'We started a group on Facebook – Christmas tree for Pakefield 2017 – to ensure that Pakefield has a Christmas tree this year. After the Pakefield community showed their generosity once more we were able to achieve our goal and now the countdown to our Magic of Christmas evening has begun.'
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of firearms offences in Lowestoft
- 2 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 3 Man hands himself into police after firearms incident in Lowestoft
- 4 Historic Lowestoft pub transformed as new seafood restaurant opens
- 5 A47 set for two weeks of roadworks from Monday
- 6 Smokehouse welcomes arrival of new fish smoking kiln - by crane
- 7 A146 closed after crash near Worlingham
- 8 Unique 'upside down' home with panoramic views is for sale
- 9 Man, 45, jailed for Lowestoft burglaries
- 10 Woman who was found with maggots living in hand evicted from care home
Suffolk County councillor Melanie Vigo Di Gallidoro said: 'It's brilliant to see Pakefield Christmas celebrations coming together with the enthusiastic support of both Pakefield Community Action and the Promoting Pakefield Group.
'The shopping centre at The Terminus will welcome customers to see lovely gifts, and you will find delicious treats at the bakery, take-aways, restaurants and bars.
'Reserve a session of beauty treatment, a hair-do, a manicure, for yourself or as a Christmas gift. Fishing gear? New specs? Gifts and cards? A bouquet or hand-made Christmas wreath? A new watch maybe? Pakefield has so much to offer with a warm welcome to all.'
As well as the switch-on, a Carol-athon will take place on Saturday, December 16 outside the Co-operative Foodstore at The Terminus in Pakefield where sponsored carol singing and music will fill the air from 11am to 5pm.
'It should really help to evoke the spirit of the season,' Mrs Vigo Di Gallidoro said.