The search is on for the UK’s top moggy in Cats Protection’s annual awards
- Credit: Archant
Does your cat have what it takes to be crowned the UK's top moggy?
Cat owners have just a few weeks to enter their pet in the Cats Protection annual National Cat Awards.
Sponsored by PURINA® for the sixth year, the competition is open to all living cats in the UK and celebrates the real-life stories of heroism, companionship and loyalty in the cat world.
Owners have until noon on Friday, March 31, to nominate their cat for one of five categories:
• Hero Cat – cats that save the day
You may also want to watch:
• Most Caring Cat – cats that positively impact a person's health or wellbeing
• Furr-ever Friends – tales of friendship between children and cats
- 1 Man fled into KFC after being chased at knifepoint in Lowestoft
- 2 Latitude labelled 'Covid fest' by health boss as staff forced to isolate
- 3 Man who downloaded indecent images of children avoids jail
- 4 Man who built outbuildings and lake without permission fined £1,300
- 5 A12 reopens after serious collision
- 6 Extraordinary meeting called over village solar farm
- 7 Two men assaulted at children's play park
- 8 Fire crew called after child gets stuck in room with faulty latch
- 9 Father and son rescued by lifeguards after their boat capsized out at sea
- 10 Revealed: Where petrol prices are cheapest in Suffolk
• Outstanding Rescue Cat – fabulous felines adopted from animal charities
• Purina® Better Together - celebrating the special bond that has transformed and enriched the lives of both a feline and human
The winner of each category will then be in with a chance of inheriting the title National Cat of the Year from last year's winner Tink, who woke her owner to raise the alarm as a fire engulfed the family home.
Kate Bunting, Cats Protection's awards organiser, said: 'The National Cat Awards celebrate the comfort, support and joy cats bring to people's lives. From cats that have raised the alarm to fires, burglaries or health emergencies to those who provide a constant source of comfort to lonely or vulnerable people, we're always amazed and touched by the stories we hear.'
Celebrating its 90th anniversary in 2017, Cats Protection is the UK's largest cat charity, helping around 500 cats a day – or 200,000 every year – through a national network of over 250 volunteer-led branches and 32 centres.
The winning moggies, and the overall National Cat of the Year, will be announced at an awards ceremony at London's Savoy Hotel on Thursday, August 3.
Each winner will receive a trophy, a three-month supply of Purina® cat food, a year's subscription to Cats Protection's The Cat magazine and a voucher for cat goodies.
The event will be attended by celebrity judges who will present the awards and pay tribute to the nation's top cats.
To enter visit www.cats.org.uk/national-cat-awards. For further information email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 03000 12 12 12.