Thieves strike in Lowestoft town centre
A POLICE warning has been issued, urging shoppers to keep a close eye on their valuables, after more purse thefts in Lowestoft town centre.Thieves struck as pensioners were twice targeted at about 1pm on Monday (September 7).
A POLICE warning has been issued, urging shoppers to keep a close eye on their valuables, after more purse thefts in Lowestoft town centre.
Thieves struck as pensioners were twice targeted at about 1pm on Monday (September 7).
A 79-year-old woman was shopping in the Britten Centre about 12.55pm to 1.05pm and went to pay for items in The Card Factory when she discovered her tan-coloured purse, containing cash and cards, was missing.
The other incident happened in Bhs, also in the Britten Centre about 1pm to 1.10pm, as a 74-year-old woman had her red purse, containing cash, taken from her bag.
You may also want to watch:
'Officers are urging shoppers to be vigilant and to keep a close eye on their purses and wallets,' a police spokesman said. 'If your purse is in your bag try to carry it in such a way that prevents someone 'dipping' into it.
'Please encourage older relatives and friends to do this and report any incident, such as someone getting up close to you or bumping into you, to store staff or, ideally, to police immediately on 999.'
- 1 Is Lowestoft becoming 'party central' of the east coast?
- 2 Academy in Lowestoft receives Ofsted praise for 'effective action'
- 3 Plans for ex-restaurant to become pub revealed as licence granted
- 4 Woman who was found with maggots living in hand evicted from care home
- 5 Mum of four set to return to the stage in Lowestoft - after a decade away
- 6 Thieves steal moped from driveway of home in south Lowestoft
- 7 Popular Lowestoft restaurant revealed as English curry award finalist
- 8 East Suffolk's coronavirus case rate increases, but rates still half England's average
- 9 New £9m school building opened by children's commissioner
- 10 Confiscation hearing adjourned for North sea jet ski drug smugglers
Anyone with information about the thefts should telephone Lowestoft police on 01986 835300.