Community party raises more than £10,000 for innovative hospital project
- Credit: Archant
A community came together to celebrate the pioneering purchase of their town's former hospital.
The special event was hosted by SouthGen, the community group whose tireless planning and fundraising allowed a deal for the acquisition of the old Southwold and District Hospital to be completed.
There was also cause for celebration due to the group being awarded a £10,000 grant to kick-start their prospective community shares initiative.
Having been spruced up and decorated, the hospital - disused since 2015 - made the perfect party venue and there was an auction as part of the ongoing fundraising campaign.
'We decided it would be nice to tidy the place up and hold a huge celebration in the old hospital,' said SouthGen chairman, Jessica Jeans. 'All in all, the auction raised more than £11,000 and we even had a special beer brewed by Adnams.'
You may also want to watch:
In partnership with Hastoe Housing, the site will be developed into housing units and a community hub containing a cafe, library, business centre and crèche.
- 1 Road to be closed and traffic diverted for a week
- 2 'A redevelopment opportunity' - Empty town centre shop and maisonette set for auction
- 3 'Innovative' new street light sparks interest on the coast
- 4 Closing coastal footbridge will have 'devastating' impact, pub owner says
- 5 'We can't wait' - Boutique owners prepare for April 12 re-opening
- 6 Pub and restaurant group 'looking forward' to re-opening popular venues
- 7 Lowestoft mother spared jail after admitting cruelty to one-year-old son
- 8 University joy for Lowestoft Sixth Form students
- 9 Investigations continuing after drugs seized during police raid
- 10 Suspected drink driver charged after police dog tracks down man hiding in a ditch