Community party raises more than £10,000 for innovative hospital project
- Credit: Archant
A community came together to celebrate the pioneering purchase of their town's former hospital.
The special event was hosted by SouthGen, the community group whose tireless planning and fundraising allowed a deal for the acquisition of the old Southwold and District Hospital to be completed.
There was also cause for celebration due to the group being awarded a £10,000 grant to kick-start their prospective community shares initiative.
Having been spruced up and decorated, the hospital - disused since 2015 - made the perfect party venue and there was an auction as part of the ongoing fundraising campaign.
'We decided it would be nice to tidy the place up and hold a huge celebration in the old hospital,' said SouthGen chairman, Jessica Jeans. 'All in all, the auction raised more than £11,000 and we even had a special beer brewed by Adnams.'
You may also want to watch:
In partnership with Hastoe Housing, the site will be developed into housing units and a community hub containing a cafe, library, business centre and crèche.
- 1 Memorial service for 'wonderful' veteran who helped the community
- 2 'Special' feeling for care home staff following award nominations
- 3 Young woman sets up new business with big plans for the future
- 4 'Ambitious ' Lowestoft heritage regeneration plan hailed by national body
- 5 Man charged over attempted robbery with imitation firearm
- 6 Mystery sculpture of man briefly appears on Suffolk beach
- 7 Busy road near Lowestoft set to close for 'urgent' drainage works
- 8 How businesses which opened in lockdown are doing now
- 9 Five Halloween events planned in Waveney this year
- 10 Fresh warning after shed burglaries in Lowestoft