Community party raises more than £10,000 for innovative hospital project
- Credit: Archant
A community came together to celebrate the pioneering purchase of their town's former hospital.
The special event was hosted by SouthGen, the community group whose tireless planning and fundraising allowed a deal for the acquisition of the old Southwold and District Hospital to be completed.
There was also cause for celebration due to the group being awarded a £10,000 grant to kick-start their prospective community shares initiative.
Having been spruced up and decorated, the hospital - disused since 2015 - made the perfect party venue and there was an auction as part of the ongoing fundraising campaign.
'We decided it would be nice to tidy the place up and hold a huge celebration in the old hospital,' said SouthGen chairman, Jessica Jeans. 'All in all, the auction raised more than £11,000 and we even had a special beer brewed by Adnams.'
You may also want to watch:
In partnership with Hastoe Housing, the site will be developed into housing units and a community hub containing a cafe, library, business centre and crèche.
- 1 Flats in Lowestoft fail to sell at auction
- 2 Hunt for man wanted for assaults in Lowestoft
- 3 Man 'let down' by GPs after undiagnosed pneumonia death, mother claims
- 4 'It's pretty awful' - Anger as cannabis waste dumped by beauty spot
- 5 Cash and computer stolen as post office smashed during burglary
- 6 Smirking teen in tank top and baseball cap exposes himself to woman
- 7 Fire crews called to fisheries laboratory in Lowestoft
- 8 Flood-hit school hails 'amazing' community response
- 9 Last chance to have your say on plans for 150 new Lowestoft homes
- 10 Lowestoft men to be sentenced after admitting assault of man