Three day celebration in Kirkley starts the festive season in style
- Credit: Archant
There were traditional Christmas scenes as the festive lights were switched-on during a three-day celebration in Kirkley.
Held between Thursday, December 1 and Saturday, December 3, the Kirkley Christmas Event proved a great success, with many residents and business owners joining together to mark the start of the festive period.
The celebrations started on Thursday with a special performance by the Lighthouse Children's Club, which saw the youngsters - aged between three and 11 - telling the traditional nativity story, complete with donkeys from Scratby Donkey Sanctuary.
The children performed outside the Claremont Pier before taking part in a lantern procession along Kirkley High Street, finishing at The Plough and Sail pub.
Janice Hammond, from the Lighthouse Club and Windsor Gallery in Kirkley, said: 'The children really enjoyed it and they did brilliantly - they were all absolute stars.'
You may also want to watch:
Organised by Kirkley Business Association, the three-day event also saw Kirkley businesses getting into the festive spirit by decorating 14 trees along the high street with festive lights.
Andrew Davis, from Lowestoft Fancy Dress, added: 'Thank you to all those who braved the elements and the cold to support Kirkley.
- 1 Academy in Lowestoft receives Ofsted praise for 'effective action'
- 2 Mum of four set to return to the stage in Lowestoft - after a decade away
- 3 Popular Lowestoft restaurant revealed as English curry award finalist
- 4 New £9m school building opened by children's commissioner
- 5 Thieves steal moped from driveway of home in south Lowestoft
- 6 Is Lowestoft becoming 'party central' of the east coast?
- 7 East Suffolk's coronavirus case rate increases, but rates still half England's average
- 8 Woman who was found with maggots living in hand evicted from care home
- 9 Inquest date set for Gorleston woman found on beach
- 10 Plans for ex-restaurant to become pub revealed as licence granted
'It was great to see so many familiar faces and also wonderful to meet families from neighbouring towns. Kirkley is truly full of Christmas spirit this year.'
Wendy Dalton, chairman of Kirkley Business Association, said: 'It went very well and we are very pleased with how it turned out.
'We need to build on this for future events.'
Are you organising a Christmas event? Tell The Journal by calling 01502 525820 or email email@example.com