Tourism businesses in Waveney gearing up for a busy 2011
TOURISM businesses in Waveney are preparing to build on a successful 2010, after seeing an increase in early bookings.
Last year, many businesses in the district reported record figures as the UK holiday industry reaped the benefits of the so-called 'Staycation', helped by the flight chaos caused by the Icelandic ash cloud and the falling value of the pound against the Euro.
Tourism in Waveney continues to grow year-on-year and the latest figures released by East Of England Tourism show that it attracted an estimated 3,950,000 visitors in 2009 – worth approximately �255,389,000 to the local economy.
The figures indicate that tourism in Waveney supports 4,183 full time equivalent (FTE) jobs and 5,774 actual jobs, which accounts for about 12.9 per cent of all jobs in the district, making the sector one of the largest employers.
Wendy Mawer, Waveney portfolio holder for prosperous and vibrant economy and learning and skills, said: 'Not only does tourism benefit those directly employed in the sector, it benefits supply chains, which tend to be local companies too.'
You may also want to watch:
Waveney District Council's culture, tourism and sport team's marketing campaign is already dealing with requests for its 2011 Sunrise Coast Holiday Handbook and visits to the Sunrise Coast website – www.visit-sunrisecoast.co.uk – are on the up.
The team is now working on the district's What's On Guide, which will support the holiday handbook in promoting events around the area.
- 1 Could direct trains run from Lowestoft to London again?
- 2 'Anti-social rider' has quadbike seized in the snow
- 3 Butchers' could be converted into cafe under new plans
- 4 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 5 'Disappointment' as thieves raid £16,000 of kit from town's sports club
- 6 'This is very welcome': Go-ahead for HMO close to town centre
- 7 Flood warning as Suffolk set for 23 hours of heavy rain later this week
- 8 Junction closed for third crossing preparations
- 9 Everything we know so far about Covid vaccinations in Norfolk and Waveney
- 10 Tributes to man, 31, who died on Christmas Day
And www.visit-sunrisecoast.co.uk is listing activities and events to keep children entertained over the February half-term.
If you would like to list your event in the What's On Guide for free, email: email@example.com or ring 01502 523387.