Tourism businesses in Waveney gearing up for a busy 2011
TOURISM businesses in Waveney are preparing to build on a successful 2010, after seeing an increase in early bookings.
Last year, many businesses in the district reported record figures as the UK holiday industry reaped the benefits of the so-called 'Staycation', helped by the flight chaos caused by the Icelandic ash cloud and the falling value of the pound against the Euro.
Tourism in Waveney continues to grow year-on-year and the latest figures released by East Of England Tourism show that it attracted an estimated 3,950,000 visitors in 2009 – worth approximately �255,389,000 to the local economy.
The figures indicate that tourism in Waveney supports 4,183 full time equivalent (FTE) jobs and 5,774 actual jobs, which accounts for about 12.9 per cent of all jobs in the district, making the sector one of the largest employers.
Wendy Mawer, Waveney portfolio holder for prosperous and vibrant economy and learning and skills, said: 'Not only does tourism benefit those directly employed in the sector, it benefits supply chains, which tend to be local companies too.'
You may also want to watch:
Waveney District Council's culture, tourism and sport team's marketing campaign is already dealing with requests for its 2011 Sunrise Coast Holiday Handbook and visits to the Sunrise Coast website – www.visit-sunrisecoast.co.uk – are on the up.
The team is now working on the district's What's On Guide, which will support the holiday handbook in promoting events around the area.
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of firearms offences in Lowestoft
- 2 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 3 Man hands himself into police after firearms incident in Lowestoft
- 4 Historic Lowestoft pub transformed as new seafood restaurant opens
- 5 A47 set for two weeks of roadworks from Monday
- 6 Smokehouse welcomes arrival of new fish smoking kiln - by crane
- 7 A146 closed after crash near Worlingham
- 8 Unique 'upside down' home with panoramic views is for sale
- 9 Man, 45, jailed for Lowestoft burglaries
- 10 Woman who was found with maggots living in hand evicted from care home
And www.visit-sunrisecoast.co.uk is listing activities and events to keep children entertained over the February half-term.
If you would like to list your event in the What's On Guide for free, email: email@example.com or ring 01502 523387.