Town furniture store to lose top floor
- Credit: Archant
Kerry's department store in Lowestoft is to close the top floor with the loss of five jobs due to 'tough trading conditions'.
The shop on Suffolk Road, owned by the bed company Mattressman, will reduce the amount of stock and move parts of the store to the ground floor in an attempt to return to profitable trading.
The popular tea room on the top floor will remain open, with owner Andrew Kerry keen to keep the popular cafe available for shoppers.
Plans will see Mattressman inside the store grow, retaining the kitchen department, and moving bedroom furniture and carpets downstairs.
Mr Kerry said the scaling back was not a precursor to closure and is simply a way for the shop to make money during a period where retail giants such as Maplin and Toys R Us are shutting their doors.
You may also want to watch:
He said: 'We built Kerry's going forward thinking we were going into the good times but it feels like a mini recession with Brexit at the moment.
'The government haven't said anything and they are holding their mouths shut which is disgusting.'
- 1 Obsessed man thought barmaid was in love with him
- 2 RNLI called as guard vessel found aground
- 3 'I need to see a body' - Sister's torment over speedboat deaths
- 4 Vandal's sentencing adjourned after 'mess' of car damage spree case
- 5 Rescue mission as fox gets tangled in football net
- 6 Covid infection rates plummet in Norfolk
- 7 Joy as funding boost awarded to school creating sensory playground
- 8 Covid app changes mean fewer people will be 'pinged'
- 9 Popular laser lights display set for welcome return to pier
- 10 Official unveiling for new nature reserve boardwalk in Lowestoft
He added: 'Kerry's was a big investment and it needs support from Lowestoft people. If they want local stores they have to support them.'
'It's tough trading conditions in the retail market space, everyone out there is struggling. The sales are not where they should be for this year.
The top floor will be closed to the public, apart from the team rooms, by the end of April.