Bridge to close for latest repair works
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Drivers and mariners could face disruption as a series of overnight repair works take place on a busy bridge.
Highways England is carrying out works to the A47 Bascule Bridge in Lowestoft over the next week and a half.
The A47 Bascule Bridge is closed overnight from 8pm each evening until 6am the following morning, as the works are scheduled to continue until 6am on January 17.
With this closure in place "delays are likely" according to the Suffolk Roadworks map.
It said: "A47 Northbound Bascule Bridge - Carriageway closure and diversion route due to construction works on behalf of Graham Construction."
You may also want to watch:
The scheduled "essential maintenance works" were due to take place last month, but were delayed until this week.
With the work under way, it means the bridge is temporarily closed overnight from 8pm each evening with a diversion route in operation until January 17.
- 1 Man airlifted to hospital from beach given 'vital first aid' by lifeguards
- 2 'Awe-inspiring' progress on £126.75m Gull Wing third crossing
- 3 'You are our champion': Community praise for Olympian Charley Davison
- 4 'Forever an Olympian': Charley Davison bows out at Tokyo games
- 5 Woman in 30s suffers head injuries in violent attack by two girls
- 6 McDonalds volunteers remove 20 wheelbarrow loads of algae from town's park
- 7 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 8 Plot of land near Beccles sells at auction for five times guide price
- 9 Bouncing Back: New visitor guides and events to boost town centre
- 10 Delays 'possible' warning ahead of footway works in Lowestoft
While the A47 is closed, northbound traffic will be diverted via the A12, B1531, A1117, A1144 and A47.
Southbound traffic will follow the same diversion in reverse.